Shocking service from Epson UK

tony359

Hello all

This is mainly a message for UK residents.

I contacted Epson UK to see if they could service my projector before warranty expires as I have some green blobs on black screen (dirt on light path I suppose).

They kindly agreed to have that service under warranty.

Then the journey began.

Epson has been unable to have the projector collected. It's been approximately three weeks. I phoned them 7 times and every time they assured me someone would pick it up the following day for SIX times. I also received a text message from DHL every morning confirming the collection. But nobody has ever shown up.

I eventually complained, Head Office called me and arranged with DPD instead for a specific day.

Guess what? Nobody showed up.

The "official" excuse from the couriers varies. From "the customer said the item was not ready" (??) to "We spoke with 'XYZ' at the premises and she said it's not ready" (there is no XYZ at my place) to "We tried to collect but customer was not home".

Each one of those 6 days I took time off and waited AT HOME.

I've complained again on Wednesday, they did not call me back.
I've complained again today, I got an email saying "we tried to call you but there is no answer and no voicemail" - I do have a voicemail and I have no missed calls.

This is seriously shocking. I'm not reporting a missed collection - it can happen - but SIX. I have a large box sitting in my living room and I do not know what to do next. I am actually thinking of cancelling the request as I'm concerned the outcome may be even worse.

Am I the only one experiencing this unacceptable level of service from Epson UK???

tony359

Two different couriers missing collections one after the other offering random explanations as a justification? I receive and send parcels all the time and I really don't have issues at all. I live in England mainland, on the outskirt of a small-ish town on the M4, I am not in the middle of the Lake District. It's a popular and new-ish residential area, not in the countryside. DHL has a depot in town - as DPD. They're both 10-20 minutes from my place.

Also Head Office claiming I am not answering the phone and that there is no voicemail... BT problem?

I don't mean to be harsh, Arcam_Boy, but hopefully you see where I am going. ;)

My understanding is that Epson has outsorced the logistics - that is, someone else is arranging for collections and deliveries for them.

I appreciate that Epson may not be directly responsible for this but in the end I speak with them and not with DHL.
If I could arrange my own shipment, the box would have been long gone as I would have dropped it off at a collection point. But that is not an option apparently.

My question stands: am I the only one in this situation with Epson?

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
I used them at the start of ownership and mine was collected, repaired and returned within 5 days, I can only assume it’s more a problem with the courier and having a DPD drop and collection point at my place I know just how awful some services can be. If only 10-20 mins from DHL then why not suggest to Epson you will drop it off at the DHL depot.

Last edited:

tony359

Unfortunately I have suggested that and on more than one occasion! And I was told it was not an option.

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
Unfortunately I have suggested that and on more than one occasion! And I was told it was not an option.
I’d suggest connecting them on Twitter or Facebook, in the past when I have got results naming and shaming on Twitter has worked wonders.

But I do feel this is a courier that’s at fault.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I would have dropped it off at their Depot if 10 mins or so away. YOU are then in control rather than at the beck and call of the courier collecting or NOT as in your situation.

Never trust third parties when you have the opportunity to be in control yourself is my thinking :)

tony359

I would have dropped it off at their Depot if 10 mins or so away. YOU are then in control rather than at the beck and call of the courier collecting or NOT as in your situation.

Never trust third parties when you have the opportunity to be in control yourself is my thinking :)
kbfern
I suggested that and I was told it is not possible.

I am really not sure I can blame the couriers here. Simply because I struggle to believe that this has now happened 6 times with two different couriers when I keep receiving parcels no problem at my place.

I was hoping not to have to go on Twitter to resolve this issue to be honest. But it is indeed a course of action.

Now Epson tells me they have rescheduled for Monday - I am not home on Monday! That's why I asked them to call me back to arrange together. But apparently I am not answering the phone...

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Sorry when I wrote my post I had not seen you have been told you could not drop off.

However with all that has gone on and the inconvenience you have suffered I would give them one more chance and warn them that they will be liable for any wasted time you have to take off in order to comply with their collection of the item.

tony359

Indeed that is what I told them this morning - but customer service advised they are not able to discuss liabilities with me and that - guess what - Head Office would call me! :)

But apparently I am not answering the phone and have no voicemail for them to use.

Again, I am stuck. If they don't call me back this afternoon - which has almost gone - I will put together an email and see what they reply next week.

I really do not understand why this has to be so frustrating. It's a parcel collection. I could sort it out by myself in 60 seconds online booking and 20 minutes drive.

panman40

Distinguished Member
Indeed that is what I told them this morning - but customer service advised they are not able to discuss liabilities with me and that - guess what - Head Office would call me! :)

But apparently I am not answering the phone and have no voicemail for them to use.

Again, I am stuck. If they don't call me back this afternoon - which has almost gone - I will put together an email and see what they reply next week.

I really do not understand why this has to be so frustrating. It's a parcel collection. I could sort it out by myself in 60 seconds online booking and 20 minutes drive.
Stupid question but have you asked Epson to email you your own address to make sure its correct ?. i can’t think why those couriers would make up lies like that, hence I wonder if they have an incorrect address and even phone number !. Stupid I know but worth checking.

tony359

Not stupid at all. We checked my address over the phone a couple of times and I have received automatic service status emails which have my address on it - and it's correct.

panman40

Distinguished Member
Not stupid at all. We checked my address over the phone a couple of times and I have received automatic service status emails which have my address on it - and it's correct.
It's very odd isn't it, bordering on bizarre !

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
I'm so sorry to hear of your problem.

Reminds me of the old "That's Life" tv programme with Esther Rantzen, where the gas board kept sending bills to someone who didn't have gas to their property.

If the programme was still going, I reckon you'd be a star!

Fingers crossed you get it sorted soon.

tony359

Little update on the charade.

Epson did not call me back on Friday and confirmed via email a collection for today (Monday) "we will send DPD instead" (didn't they say the same last time?).

I replied I would not be home today (Monday) and to call me back to discuss.

As they did not, I sent a longer email over the weekend, complaining about things but also asking them to collect tomorrow - Tuesday.

This morning I wake up to a reply to an earlier email saying "the parcel will hopefully be collected today (monday)".

A few minutes later I get a call from an "Equinox Engineer" (Epson technical partner I believe) saying he's on his way to collect my PRINTER.

You can imagine I had to breathe for a second before replying.
Anyways, I explained the kind engineer the situation and asked him to report back that I am not home but that Epson knew about that.

Later on in the morning Epson calls me. The line is awful, they are breaking up all the time. We tried a number of times, they blame my end.
Eventually I get a voicemail - which is also breaking up (I receive a .WAV file on my email so unlikely to be "my end" apparently!) saying they're trying to contact me.

In the end I get an email saying the collection has been rescheduled to tomorrow.

No comments on the rest of my email, no apologies. In fact, they sounded like they were annoyed by this case - you can imagine "on my end"!

I hope the projector gets collected tomorrow. But honestly this is a big big joke.

alebonau

Distinguished Member
probably explains why warranties here(where i am) are "back to base"

ie your responsibility get item ... back to base. ie retailer bought from... or manufacturer / agent if rather deal with them

is it not the case where you are ? can you not take to your local retailer bought from ? let them deal with epson ?

most couriers expect someone home to be there ...i know some at times will not even ship something unless there is someone there 8-5 ! :D ie a business address !

I know i missed my apple watch turning up today... even thought apple said it was coming wednesday and there was no notice was even coming today... jsut get an email there was no one at home and will try again.. when are they trying again ? anyones guess :D and this is apple and one of THE largest if not THE largest freight company where i am... a law unto themselves ! :D

tony359

There are PLENTY of options to ship/receive parcels here in the UK. I can take the parcel to a drop off shop - there are plenty around my area - or to the local depot - I have them all but UPS around me. Same for collection.

Most couriers will give you a very accurate ETA when delivering/collecting.

I'd be more than happy to arrange the shipment on my own. I mentioned this on my last email - as I said they totally ignored that and just replied with "we will collect on Monday".

I know that on your end it seems I am being overly-complicated but I can assure me I am doing all I can to have this big brown box - which has been sitting in my living room for weeks - collected.

alebonau

Distinguished Member
I know that on your end it seems I am being overly-complicated but I can assure me I am doing all I can to have this big brown box - which has been sitting in my living room for weeks - collected.
I'm actually suggesting the opposite.. ie so you need to do actually very little or as little as possible :) ie cant you just take it back to whence it came ? retailer bought it from ? dont they do after sales ?

as i mentioned will get around all your unavailability issues and having to be stuck at home for the courier.... just drop it off and let the retailer figure out how to get back and forth from epson ? not an option ? why deal with epson at all ? where i am most manufactures / importers aren't really setup for b2c and will point you to retailer anyways ..who do the b2c leaving the importer to b2b with the retailers :)

retailer can be the filter so you dont have to put up with all the hi-jinx going on with epson :D

tony359

I was shocked to see an Epson engineer (actually one of their service partner's, Equinox) showing up at my place today to collect "the printer" :)

I was tempted to pretend not to be home so to continue the story! :D

Finger crossed now the service goes well and the projector can go back on the shelf!

Thanks all for listening to my vent!

MartinH32

Blimey - sorry to hear this. I sent mine back to Epson with a buzzing sound before selling it. I'd had it nearly three years. Collected next day and back with me repaired within the week.

tony359

I hope the rest of the story goes flawlessly. I'm not totally optimistic but finger crossed! :)

tony359

Epson's support partner called: print... ehm... projector is ready and will be delivered by one of their technicians tomorrow. Only 7 calendar days. If they actually did what I asked for, it's good service indeed.

Finger crossed.

tony359

The projector came back in a massive box. I let it acclimatise for a while and then tested it.

Optical engine replaced.

Convergence was BAD. I was crying. And convergence controls did not work.... Thankfully resetting the convergence section made it better AND the controls started working again. I managed to get a pretty good one.

The focus issue and the green blob had gone. Contrast increased from 3100 to 5000, brightness from 66 to 88 (same settings). I was so happy.

Then I put up a white screen and I noticed the attached. Likely a fingerprint/dirt somewhere along the light path. Nothing I can do about that. It's not on the outer element of the lens. It moved with the lens shift and does not rotate when I adjust the focus.

Also, the white uniformity is BAD, it's bluish in the middle - and there is no adjustment for that, only left to right, top to bottom etc.

There is now a MASSIVE box in the middle of my living room. I am busy with work over the next weeks, this is a nightmare.

Attachments

• IMG_6990.JPG
    IMG_6990.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 74

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

BBC licence fee to be scrapped in 2027
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for February 2022