Shocking in store display!!!

Talkin Ape

Standard Member
Was at my local Currys (Goodmayes) to see the PS3 in person and check out BluRay.

It was in a locked cabinet (fair enough).... but the killer was that they had it connected to a Samsung 32 HDTV via... wait for it!!!!

Bloody Composite!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, composite!! the yellow phono looking composite cable!!!! The demo of motor storm looked snowy and pixelated.

Arrrrrggggghhhh!!!!

I refused to let them in on the secret of HD that is HDMI, and walked out thinking I will not buy anything from such dumbasses.

paulwillhappy

Standard Member
The Pays not bad at Curry's i heard that a manager in Hudderfield once nearly earned £20,000 plus he won a Roomba Vacuum & some Vac Bags.

:lesson:

Dave2

The irony is that a HDMI cable for them would cost a few pence, trade cost.

Heh what is more funny they probably think the ps3 is a xbox or some sort of dvd player.

onkeh

The idiocy of retail workers never ceases to amaze me.

Dave2

The idiocy of retail workers never ceases to amaze me.

This is sooo true.

The problem is, and I have seen this many of times. People who go for interviews for stores such as pc world, comet, currys etc

There could be a person who is all genned up on the latest technology and how it all works and there could be a person who has not got a clue and the person that has not got a clue gets the job.

Its shocking, it also goes for promotions in buisnesses.

andytabor

i find stuff like that so funny, argos are a big offender with demo videos for hd showing mountains and the usual stuff like that running from a normal dvd player thrugh scart or composite.

Billy Hunt

I saw the same thing in Toysrus in Sheffield
They had it connected to nice new Sony LCD via composite it looked appalling.

I just had to tell a member of staff but he wasn't interested at all.

enablerbro1

I often wonder if it's incompetance or intentional. They seem to do this with the flat screen TVs, not all of them but most. I wonder if they feed the best picture source to the TVs they get the most commission for. I wonder if they're doing the same to the PS3?

Knowing the staff at Currys/Dixons/whatever it's probably just incompetance.

And this is WHY people would rather buy their goods from elsewhere.

I would never buy anything from Currys.

1/ They are bumbling idiots.
2/ They are vastly overpriced.

I really hope Currys (and hopefully the whole DSG empire) will go the way of the dinosaur..

almightygoodgod

i find stuff like that so funny, argos are a big offender with demo videos for hd showing mountains and the usual stuff like that running from a normal dvd player thrugh scart or composite.

When I went into my local argos to exchange my 360 a couple of days ago I saw the demo they were running which you have mentioned through a normal dvd player and a scart cable.

i asked them why they didn't run a proper HD source through it and the guy laughed, that's right LAUGHED at me telling me it was HD as the tv was high definition. I tried to tell him that it required an HD source but he just shook his head and told me I was mistaken. Apparently he had had training on the matter so knew exactly what he was talking about.

I asked if that is the case why bother with a HD-DVD player to which he replied it is all a big con and all you need is the tv set:suicide:

danmc_82

Suspended
When I went into my local argos to exchange my 360 a couple of days ago I saw the demo they were running which you have mentioned through a normal dvd player and a scart cable.

i asked them why they didn't run a proper HD source through it and the guy laughed, that's right LAUGHED at me telling me it was HD as the tv was high definition. I tried to tell him that it required an HD source but he just shook his head and told me I was mistaken. Apparently he had had training on the matter so knew exactly what he was talking about.

I asked if that is the case why bother with a HD-DVD player to which he replied it is all a big con and all you need is the tv set:suicide:

I guess that store wont be selling many hi-def players anytime soon.

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
to put some perspective onto this, i once went for a job at pc world after working as an IT technician for a year. i asked them what the chances of getting a job was and do you know what their reply was?

"Sorry mate you got no chance, we require all of our sales staff to not have any IT experience, we need sales people not computer experts as they scare the customers away"

hence i've never bought anything from them since that day

stu.artd

Sadly there's no point arguing with someone that knows nothing about technology, and even less point when they've received official training that is seemingly nothing better than misinformation. I suppose we should all be grateful that he'd been trained in something other than how to sell an extended warranty, even if the training was worse than useless.

Why these stores can't properly educate some of their staff who could then pass their knowledge along to others is beyond me.

philbot

I went with my brother-in-law to Blockbusters, he was trading in his 360 and games for a PS3 (after seeing mine).

They give you 5 free rentals, so the shop assistant showed hime to the Blue Ray section.

"No point yet" I told him, "Till you get an HD TV"

Oh it'll still work, the assistant said, you just need the right cable.

I said there's no point watching a Blue Ray move on a normal TV, and she gave me a very dirty look!

:eek:

Lrrr

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

winstano

I went to Toys R Us in the week and spoke to the woman there about their PS3 display... She said Sony sent them the display unit, but they sent an HDMI cable that was about 2 inches too short, so they had to use a scart cable to demo it... Shocking!!

enablerbro1

I remember a while back DVDs first came in to being and overheard a guy in a computer shop confidently telling a customer that DVD stood for Digital Video Disc. Needless to say I didn't bother waiting to ask about the item I was interested in.

Tony Hoyle

A lot of people still believe that.. it's at least a reasonable assumption for the uninitiated.

Worst I ever saw was a Sony shop with demo of something a 50" TV right by the entrance so people could see it when they were walking past. It had History channel HD on it so it *should* have been good.. but it looked utterly crap. It was clearly a demo fed via composite.. heck the thing was an IDTV and they could have just given it an aerial feed but they chose to make their own product look terrible.

almightygoodgod

to put some perspective onto this, i once went for a job at pc world after working as an IT technician for a year. i asked them what the chances of getting a job was and do you know what their reply was?

"Sorry mate you got no chance, we require all of our sales staff to not have any IT experience, we need sales people not computer experts as they scare the customers away"

hence i've never bought anything from them since that day

that's shocking, but I suppose its what we have come to expect from retailers these days. all about the profit and not about doing what is best for the customer. thats why we have the forums...

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

T+A announces high end 200 Series audio components
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Trinnov Altitude update adds new features
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Panasonic TVs welcome Disney+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Research announces I/50 integrated valve amp