1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shockabuku, question about your Homescreen

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Hoglet, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Hoglet

Hoglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi Mark (Shockabuku),

I just noticed on your website that you have one of Wide Screen Center's HomeScreens. I'm looking for something similar, and have a couple of questions.

1) As you pull the screen up out of the box, will it lock at any height, or only at its full extension? In particular, I need the bottom of the white part of the screen to be 16 inches off the floor. I'm concerned that it may not be possible to lock the screen in this position.

2) How flat is the screen surface? I've seen some cheaper pulldown screens that either curl at the edges, or seem to have ripples in the fabric (i.e. I guess they can crease easily). Are you happy with the surface flatness?. Do you have to be very careful when lowering it?

3) Did you consider the DaLite Insta Theater (I think its more expensive)?

4) How wide is the viewing area. On the website it's not clear if the 70" includes the black borders or not?

I'm currently using a 6'6" wide free-standing DIY screen made out of John Lewis blackout fabric stretched and stapled to a plywood frame with legs. I'm very happy with the picture on this - it's just we have nowhere really to put it when not in use, and it's easily damaged.

--- Dave

2. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Hi Dave.

To answer your questions...

1) The screen will stay up at any height. It uses a clever springs & rods system that means it'll stay just where you put it. The bottom of the white part of the screen will happily sit 16" (or more) from the floor.

2) I'd say the screen is 95% flat. Very well tensioned at the edges, and mine ripples only a tiny bit over it's length....and I'm pretty fussy about stuff like that. Really not a problem imho.

3) After a chat with a hifi shop chap, I decided against the DaLite Insta Theater. He claimed it wasn't available in 16:9 format (essential for me), and it seemed a bit expensive anyway.

4) The figures quoted on the website are viewable area. The black bits are extra.

I took something of a risk ordering the Homescreen coz I'd never seen one in the flesh, but it was the only screen I could find on the market that seemed to be exactly what I needed. As it turns out, I'm extremely happy with it. Cost £500 for a 6ft wide 16:9 version, and it's well made & should last a long time I reckon. Takes only about 15 seconds to put it up/down too. Highly recommended...though order early coz they're made to order...mine took about a month to come through.

3. Hoglet

Hoglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'll look into getting one.

--- Dave