Shock your NiCad's

ak_47_boy

Standard Member
I constantly read about people's NiCad's running out of memory.

I use a 10KV @ 1mA supply to shock my NiCad's. With polarity then against then with again. A few seconds each time.

I have never come across a battery that could not be restored to 100% capability.

S

stratagem

"You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off"

Nimby

Distinguished Member
My charger has buttons to kill memory. I presume it just dumps charge to ensure it starts charging from some low level rather than doing the Frankenstein trick.

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
I do a similar trick using a 10,000 uF, 40 volt capacitor charged (via a resistor) to 13.8 volts and then discharged a couple of times (without the resistor) into the battery.
Cheap 'n dirty but has revived loads of batteries.
This removes the whisker that causes the "won't charge" issue.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

N

nikyzf

My charger has buttons to kill memory. I presume it just dumps charge to ensure it starts charging from some low level rather than doing the Frankenstein trick.
Yes, I think this is supposed to nullify the memory effect. The "smart" charger I bought does this but didn't seem to improve my batteries at all.

N

nikyzf

I use a 10KV @ 1mA supply to shock my NiCad's. With polarity then against then with again. A few seconds each time.

I have never come across a battery that could not be restored to 100% capability.
That sounds drastic, quite shocking in fact. ;)

How did this solution come about? Why such a high voltage? Is there a theory behind this? Where does one buy such a supply (is it a car or bike ignition coil by any chance?).

Sorry about all the questions. :)

johntheexpat

Distinguished Member

This will sound very facetious but I don't think I can walk into Tescos and buy a 10KV supply, but what I can buy is one of these fly killing 'tennis rackets' that kill by zapping the fly with very high voltage, low current when you swipe them and they hit the wires. If I 'swiped' my expensive but useless rechargeables with it, would that work?

MikeTV

Or maybe an HT lead from the car with the engine turning?

(BTW, I know nothing about cars or lecky things! ;))

N

nikyzf

Or maybe an HT lead from the car with the engine turning?

(BTW, I know nothing about cars or lecky things! ;))
I've already asked about an ignition coil but they don't want to tell us, do they? ;)

MikeTV

I've already asked about an ignition coil but they don't want to tell us, do they? ;)
My laptop battery died after a couple of months, and I am too cheap to replace it. So I'm tempted to connect it direct to some live mains cables. ;)

ak_47_boy

Standard Member
Helium neon laser psu :D

Edit: I am pretty sure a ignition coil would work also. Also, this won't work on LithiumIon's. The high voltage can damage short protection circuits inside some drill or phone battery's also.

I cheep & easy possibility is to connect a wall wart transformer backwards to mains to get a few KV. The problem is it will saturate to you must switch the mains on then off before it burns/arcs itself to destruction.

N

nikyzf

My laptop battery died after a couple of months, and I am too cheap to replace it. So I'm tempted to connect it direct to some live mains cables. ;)
When you do, make sure you have a web-cam set up so we can all watch!!

SamRadford

Novice Member
I rejuvenated NiCds back in the '70s by connecting them across a car battery with a headlamp bulb in series. Does anyone still use NiCds? I haven't seen one for years. Everything uses Nickel Metal Hydride cells nowadays.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom