1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shock Protection

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by asimm, Jan 12, 2005.

1. asimm

asimm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Am considering an IPod or the Sony HD3. Have asked a few patient shopkeepers some questions and all seem to opt for the Sony. One thing that a shopkeeper said surprised me - he said that the IPod has no shock protection. Whichever I go for needs to handle me jogging. Is this true? Can knocks damage the IPod hard drive and is the Sony with its "GProtection" more secure?

Thanks

2. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I can shake my iPod and it never misses a beat.

3. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Chances are the shopkeepers you are seeing have the Sony players in available to sell to you so maybe they are steering you for that reason?

I read somewhere in the tutorial, i think, that ipod has 45mins shock protection.

4. LinkinRuss

LinkinRuss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    tbh it seems that if u are just joggin then the ipod seems to be stable enough, i bought the ipod to take to the gym. i was on the treadmill and running pretty fast :d then the ipod crashed. i had to the reset and started running again, and guess wot. it messed up again. took it bak to the apple store and they said that mild joggin is ok. so i got it replaced and seems to be ok now. (me dont run fast no more) hahaha

5. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Bottom line is, with the likes of an iPod or any hard disk MP3 player they really should not be shaken too much at all. The head is floating nanometers above the disk surface on a cushion of air and any major jolt will cause it to crash. Hard disk drives in home PCs/laptops will have better dampening systems built in to them, simply due to the fact that they are bigger and there is more room for them. The little drives in these MP3 players are designed to withstand someone walking around for most of their use, not jogging. The more modern players may now feed music into a buffer like minidisc so the user doesn't notice anything if it happens to jump once in a while, but with constant jogging there is the chance of many jumps and potential damage. MP3 players with flash memory are more advisable for joggers.

6. asimm

asimm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Thanks everyone - I had heard the danger with hard drives and major shakes. May be sticking with my trusty (but falling apart) MD (and the 10 minidiscs I have to cart around every day!

7. andym1

andym1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Everything I've learned over many years working in IT with hard drives tells me that jogging with a little portable hard drive strapped to an arm (or wherever) is not really a good idea.

However, I've been using my HD3 in the gym for a few weeks, and I know plenty of people using IPOD's as well, and I'm not aware of anyone having a problem.

I wouldn't be suprised if gym use is shortening the life expectancy of the player though. Hopefully by the time I get a head crash on my HD3 I'll be able to buy a flash player with a good few GB's of storage to replace it.

8. martincousins11

martincousins11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony and I-pod (and most on market) use buffer memory, so you'll never hear a skip. therefore your listening is not the issue it's the safey of your harddisc------

Although Sony do use this "Shock Proection" this as a marketing stragey it may have some sense-

The Sony has senors which detect shocks and removes the read head from the hard drive if they are too strong.

If you drive is under consanst shock it does not read so your music is slightly safer with the Sony (NW-HD3) than the I-pod which has no form of shock protetion for is hard drive.

9. asimm

asimm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Thanks guys. Went for the Ipod 20g (no regrets). Will not be using it for the gym (sounds too risky). Will use minidisc instead.