1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shock Horror my HD590s sound better than my HD580s with Headsave!!

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Crocodile JD, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    It's true....my 590s have really come alive, but my 580s remain subdued, to overcome this was partly why I bought the headphone amp in the first place. The other main reason was to get good SQ from my PC at work. Well yes I've got that, but with my 590s.

Many here say that to get the best from 580/600s you need a HP amp, but it hasn't really worked for me. I have the Op-amp combo recommended by Norm (Headsave) for hi end Sennies, he suggested that they give a forward presentation. I get exactly that with my 590s but not the 580s.

Ironically, the only source that seems to suit the 580s is my Yamaha HC receiver HP output. They sound terrific on that, but they don't seem to like either the headsave amp or the HP output from my Arcam amps in my stereo system.

Conclusion:- 590s with PC with M-Audio 2496 and Headsave amp combo at work and 580s at home with HC system.

Alternatively sell 580s and keep 590s for all as they sound generally pretty good with all sources. Controversial I know, but I can only speak as I find

Croc

2. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    I posted in your other thread before I saw this, but basically it does sound to me like the 580's just arent for you... I've heard this complaint about them before, that they are too warm, soft and laid back, and they are all of these things. If you dislike this trait, then DO NOT get the HD650, which are even warmer, softer and cuddlier.

At the end of the day, its your opinion that counts, so plenty say the 590's are crap or whatever, but I always take such opinions with a pinch of salt. I speak as someone who had lots of top of the line headphones, like the HD650, HD580, Beyerdynamic DT880, Sony CD3000, and yet I am currently using and am happy with some midrange Beyerdynamic DT531's, which while I recognise their flaws, are sounding plenty nice enough to my ears, and yet if you ask on an audiophile board which is better... HD580 or DT531, most would probably say HD580, but I wouldnt... in fact I actually persuaded a guy who is well into his Rega / Naim gear to try the DT531 as he found the HD580 boring and he did and never looked back.

Its not really a recommendation as such, just a point: Trust your own ears. If you like em, sod what anyone else thinks. If you are desperate to try something else though, I recommend trying some Beyerdynamics, theres plenty of diversity in the range... the Beyerdynamic DT440 is the replacement for the DT531 I spoke of, and offers a sound that is somewhat similar to the high end Senn's, but less laid back and more fun, faster sounding. Dont cost a fortune either. Then theres the DT770/990, which are very bassy phones, lots of low end energy, midrange takes a backseat though, treble is quite prominent... I wasnt that keen personally, but loads of folks like them, and YMMV. Then theres the DT880, which for me, sounds better than any of the high end Senn's, very smooth, lovely sounding phones, may not be your thing if your into rock music though, but for most other things, they are pretty good... quite hard to drive too though, and I've never heard them on the Classic, but I cant imagine them being all that bad, and they are more forward than the Senn's. For rock you might wanna try Grado's but I can tell you now that they dont synergise that well with the AD8620 opamps. Maybe if you change to the OPA*** amps... then it might be an option, but then the comfort factor might get to you eventually. Then theres the Sony's, I had the CD3000 - very energetic sounding, but somehow quite unforgiving as well, and hard to get them sounding just right.

Or.... you could just stick with your 590's :D and if you like em, why not!

3. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Paul TBH from my findings I'd be more inclined to give the HD595s a go if I wanted some more, although I suspect that they would be very similar to the 590s. Mind you, the 595s do have the directional drivers FWIW. I'm seriously thinking of parting company with the 580s though. While they do sound particularly good on one source that I have, they certainly can't be described as versatile phones which is another area where the 590s score IMO.

I've just updated the drivers for my M-audio 2496 sound card to good effect, where I think the ASIO output has been updated