Question Shipping provider to handle fragile hifi equipment

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by AemiliusPius, Aug 27, 2018.

1. AemiliusPius

AemiliusPius
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi guys,

I honestly do not know in which forum to place my question so here it goes (I apologize if this breaks any forum rules). I need to ship a CD player from Austria to the UK. As we all know, CD players are delicate machines to handle. Do you happen to have any recommendations and experience with shipping providers that could handle this fragile job? Or do you know any companies that provide shipping insurance?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,617
    I would say a CD player isn't any more fragile than say, a set of cut-crystal glasses.
    As long as you've packed it well with the original box within another carton one carrier will be as good as the next.

3. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,411
    ...and check if the CDP has a transit lock.

4. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,551
    Since it's less than 20kg, pack it in the original box with accompanying materials, follow the transport instructions in the manual (older players have a transit lock, newer players don't need it). CDPs are hardly fragile when packed as originally shipped.

Important: Fill in a pro-forma invoice, which can be downloaded from the Austrian postal service web site (Formulare Zollversand - Post AG). If you fail to do this your package may be subjected to massive fees as well as delays - the above link has all the threats in detail. Also attach the original proof of purchase with receipt. If you are sending it to UK for servicing or the like, meaning it will be returned, also include this fact in the declaration. The last two items are not mandatory, but I've found them very helpful in expediting shipping, as you may otherwise simply be asked to supply them anyway - after a couple of weeks delay.

Finally take it to the local post office and insure it. They are as good as anybody else and significantly cheaper.