Shining Girls (Apple TV+ 4K Dolby Vision) Premiere TV Show Review & Comments

Slinkywizard

Thanks Cas. I have to say I enjoyed the first three episodes. I'm not familiar with the source material and have no idea where it's going, which I think helps a lot actually because you're constantly trying to figure out the central mystery. I think if I knew where it was going I would be less transfixed. I didn't think it was especially slow, and maybe that's to do with not knowing.

If anyone spoils that in this thread, I will personally wring their neck!

Like you say the picture is sensational. Beautifully balanced in a way that most shows just aren't. Deep blacks, excellent near-black detail, dazzling highlights, great use of colour.

Elizabeth Moss seems to only do 'suffering and discombobulated'. It's her thing, but it is getting a bit tiring tbh, and I wonder whether that/she will wear me down before too long.

Jase

Distinguished Member
I've watched the first two episodes and I'm hooked. You have to pay attention to what's going on as it's quite easy to miss some of the more subtle visual clues as to what's happening. The ones in a scene in episode two are cleverly done and made me go :eek: wtf!

Whilst it's a slow build up, both episodes flew by for me. Can't wait to watch the third tonight. As mentioned, it also looks superb in HDR.

encaser

I liked her back in that alien thing Invasion and lessoning in Mad Men but since enduring her rotten egg / spanked arse face for years since (ugh, Handmaids wail) it's harder to get past it.
Your review highlights the face, a slog and a 6 which resemble self abuse and/or watching something for sub's sake..

Craig uk

Really enjoying this - 3 episodes in. Really gripping stuff, solid 8/10 for me so far.

Autopilot

Distinguished Member

“Elisabeth Moss finds another show to look permanently disgusted in”.​

Best opening line to a film review I’ve read in a while, and 1,000% accurate.

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
Not bad this. Bit of a come down after Severance but it’s still better than I expected.

Craig uk

This is getting better by the episode.. I think Apple are producing some really good stuff at the moment. Series 2 Tehran just about to start also.

MikeTVMikeTV

Watched the 4 available episodes, it's really good, yes her constant stinkface is a little annoying sometimes but it's a great show!

eegah

I've watched the first two episodes and I'm hooked. You have to pay attention to what's going on as it's quite easy to miss some of the more subtle visual clues as to what's happening. The ones in a scene in episode two are cleverly done and made me go :eek: wtf!

Whilst it's a slow build up, both episodes flew by for me. Can't wait to watch the third tonight. As mentioned, it also looks superb in HDR.
Which were the scenes you referenced? Still really enjoying this.

Jase

Distinguished Member
Which were the scenes you referenced? Still really enjoying this.
Little things like a cup changing to a different one. The main one was the woman picking up photos of herself at each of the positions she found them. Spooky.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom