1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shinco : which model and DVD -R compatability?

Discussion in 'Portable Disc & Media Players & Recorders' started by tallis, Jul 29, 2005.

1. tallis

tallis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thinking of buying a Shinco SDP - 6820 or 1850 or 1720A? Apart from the obvious screen size difference is there anything else to distinguish them apart? Also, has anyone had any problems playing back DVD-R on Shinco? My Panasonic DMR-E50 played -R fine but an LG player I have won't, and the PS2 tends to do as it pleases. I want to buy online from Allcam but as I'm unable to test it out not sure what to do because haven't heard of this make available on the High St. Help or advice anyone?? :lease:

2. reevesy

reevesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,136
    i'm thinking of getting the 1720A myself, i think the added bonus of this player is that it plays divx files.i think this might be the main difference.
    i know one or two members have purchased this player in the past,does anyone know if this machine plays mp3s stored on a dvd disc?

3. tallis

tallis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure about the mp3 files. The other comments by members are very favourable towards Shinco, which is what swung the vote for me really, but I'm still a bit concerned about the -R thing. Will you be buying from Allcam?

4. reevesy

reevesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,136
    i just might especially after spotting their latest model.
    for an extra tenner you get all the features of the 1720a plus a slightly better screen,card reader slot and the ability for video in!
    the later got me interested as i could enter menus/set up of my av gear without having to fire up my pj.
    see here http://www.allcam.biz/products/sdp-1750.html

5. reevesy

reevesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,136
    oh and support for divx mpeg 4 and mp3 on dvd-r and anti shock.....i.m gonna have to get one.

6. Noman

Noman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't see "video in" in the specs. Where have you seen that?

"Jacks / Ports

1 x SD/ MMC / MS slot
    1 x USB port
    1 x DC in (9 V, 2.5 A)
    1 x Composite audio out
    1 x Composite video out
    1 x Coaxial digital audio out
    2 x Stereo headphone "

7. reevesy

reevesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,136
    i saw it on the 'home page' on specs etc saying it can except video in so the extra tv tuner can be plugged in.

8. reevesy

reevesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,136
  9. Noman

Noman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could you confirm it if you buy it (or talk to them att allcam) and also give you're opinion about the quality of the screen.

I haven't decided yet, I'm thinking of buying a model with a bigger screen...

10. tallis

tallis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tracked a model down in Halfords and tried the -R discs; all worked fine. I think the picture on the Goodmans GDVD84WLC was marginally better but not that much, multi-region out of the box appeals more than taking a chance on a hack I think. Anyway just trying to decide which model to get now - will keep you posted.

11. MGDisco

MGDisco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I just recently purchased the SDP6820 model from Firebox, good price at £199.99. Plays both + and - R's no problem, as well as my VCD and SVCD's. This model has a swivel screen so it can be folded back on itself and looks like a tablet player. It's a bit noisy with CD's, but DVD's are fine, don't know if it is just the weight difference of them.

Screen is good, sound acceptable from speakers, this has the bonus of in and out AV sockets, can hook up Shinco's TV tune rmodule, and has a digital coax out for hooking up to the Home Cinema Amp.

So far I think it is brilliant, and Firebox had it delivered on Tuesday morning after ordering at 9p.m. Sunday night.

Cheers

MGDisco

12. tallis

tallis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that MGDisco :thumbsup: - I'm thinking of getting the swivel screen model. What is the TV tuner like? Picture any good because I don't know if it's worth bothering with or not and it would probably only work in UK do you think??

13. MGDisco

MGDisco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know what tuner is like, I never purchased it, I was only pointing out that the 6820 can accept the tuner (it has an DC output socket to power the tuner and uses the AV in for connection of the signals).

If you want to buy the tuner, I think you would need to buy if from AllCam, as Firebox don't seem to sell it, at the time I purchased it, the tuner was not yet available and AllCam were about £30 dearer for the player.

Sorry I can't help in making up your mind, but £40 for the tuner is better than having to buy a personal TV and you get to watch TV on a bigger screen than those LCD TV's can provide.

Cheers

MGDisco

14. Barbara2001

Barbara2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I'm thinking of buying a portable DVD player and I'm impressed by all the above comments. I was wondering if someone could confirm which Shinco model(s) definitely play +R DVDs. Thank you.

15. tallis

tallis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only tried my -R discs, sorry. However, have seen other comments elswhere that the Shinco plays +R absolutely fine too. If you have a Halfords nearby take a disc down and give it a trial run!

Ordering mine at the end of the month, so I can check it out for you should you have no luck yourself. :)

16. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Hi, Ive got a Shinco 1750 and it plays +R media fine. Actually, the only discs Ive been playing are +R discs with Mpeg files burnt onto them!

The only problem I have is trying to keep the screen clean of dust..

17. Barbara2001

Barbara2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I have a Shinco 1750 and it plays DVD -Rs and everything else I have thrown at it. Very satisfied with purchase.

18. mulhallcj

mulhallcj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look at the Nextbase tablet DVD players, they are very good. Bought two for the kids and it plays everything.