1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shinco SDP-1720 vesus SDP-1731

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Type23, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Type23

Type23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone please advise/give a definitive answer to which is the best player between the Shinco 1720 and 1731 models ? :lease: Firebox are selling the 1731 but I've seen a review on the net which paints the 1720 as being a better model, smaller better head pick up etc. can anyone who has had actually experince of these players or knows about them help ? Thank you.

Rgds

Rich

p.s Both players sell for £200

2. Type23

Type23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Surely someone has got this DVD on the forum and can offer a view :lease:

Rgds

Rich

3. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I'm certain the 1720 is better, I believe the 1731 was a cheaper put together model made for Wallmart or something.

Indeed, there's a small fac about half-way down this page http://www.allcam.biz/products/sdp-1720.html

4. sam47

sam47

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As Andrew already mentioned the allcam website has a FAQ regarding the difference between the two. I spoke to technical support at allcam who confirmed the picture quality of the 1720 is the same as the 1731 but the portable dvd laser is better at reading discs and therefore more reliable. Also the top half of the machine is aluminium - some reviews suggest the 1731 is all plastic but firebox claim it is aluminium (no idea which is correct!)

The hongkong website http://www.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad/DVD/index.htm
    would seem to confirm the story that the 1731 is a newer cheaper model produced for walmart etc. as it is $85 cheaper than the 1720.

Allcam give a one year warranty on the player in addition to the manufacturers warranty (http://www.allcam.biz/support/reviews/shinco_dvd.html scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and see point 2.)
    The price of £199 does not include delivery which is about £7.

www.play.com sell the machine for £199 including delivery but only give a 35 day warranty - sending it back to singapore if it breaks would be a bit of an arse!

If you do buy a 1720 please post a review as I am considering buying one myself and would like to hear an opinion from someone who has actually bought one rather than from the shop that is trying to sell me one.

Sam

5. Type23

Type23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andrew/Sam,
    Thanks alot for the info, if I do get one I'll post a review.

Rgds

Rich

6. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Are there any Shinco dealers in the UK? They seem highly regarded in Singapore and I'm sure I did see a few when I lived in Hong Kong. The name always put me off, but if the feature-set, quality, price and availabilty were right, I'd probably go for one if I was after a DVD player.

7. Spy

Spy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    The two dealers I have found are :

Allcam

and

Scan

8. sam47

sam47

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    www.etec-solutions.co.uk also supply the shinco 1720 for £199. If anyone lives in London and wants to go and check out one of these players before buying, Etec's shop is located at 154 Horn Lane, Acton London - W3 6PG

Sam