Shinco 6820 really bad?

Discussion in 'Portable Disc & Media Players & Recorders' started by xx396, Oct 13, 2005.

1. xx396

xx396
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I just got the 6820 8.5 inch tablet mode portable dvd on many recommendations about Shinco. This one just got reviewed very recently and only got a 75%; they rated the Philips PET1000 much better but personally at this stage I wouldn't give the Shinco anywhere near that score. Instant impressions were that it was very clunky to open and operate, it makes the loudest dvd loading noise ever its unreal (a friends sub 100 pound one is whisper quiet!), it runs far too hot after only about 10 minutes - like having a p4 on your lap, and more annoying than else the pixel grid or something causing tons of horizontal lines on any panning shot or tilt of the unit just sends me in a spin its so bad!

I'm thinking about returning it and have been told that the Philips above is a rebadged Shinco SDP-1250 and the company I purchased it from has these, although I really did fancy the tablet mode and tv tuner support which isn't there. Is it worth giving the Shincos another try, I just think they're appalling quality now or is mine faulty!

2. luke_1983uk

luke_1983uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    i have the Shinco SDP-1250 and mine is a great machine. ive seen other portables in dixons, currys and co, picture quality wise this is the best ive seen, very happy with mine!

3. xx396

xx396
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've just swapped for the 1250 after seeing it - the picture is far better because of the resolution. I was told that the 8.5 inch uses the same resolution as the 7 which is why the pixel grid was so annoying for me. Its a shame because bar that, the picture would obviously have been comparable although has the tablet mode and tv tuner support built in. This one is much more livable but a couple of points

- Theres no contrast control is there, thats a real disappointment because the factory setting is *way* too high. All the whites are blown out, I don't remember it being this bad on the 6820 - what do you think?
    - I have a white screen come on with a ton of corruption for a split second on power up. Does yours do this?
    - It still runs very hot i think, (is this true of all portable dvd players?)