1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shimmering output in VGA

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by mjwhitehouse, Jul 28, 2001.

1. mjwhitehouse

mjwhitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just set up a HTPC for my Ellie. It is an 850MHz Duron, 256MB of RAM, a Voodoo 3 2000 Graphics card, A RealMagic accelerator. When watching in VGA, I get this shimmering effect along the vertical lines on the film, like the light is changing and on the REalMagic I get a large black horizontal line that moves up the screen. Has anyone got any ideas what could be causing these two problems? Any help would be gratefully received.

2. RichardA

RichardA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark,

Are you seeing these problems on a VGA moniyor as well as on the Ellie, or just on the Ellie?

The shimmering vertical lines sounds like it could be a sync problem - the Ellie only synchronises with very specific resolutions and scan rates - but as Gordon says we'd have to see it to be sure.

The Horizontal line certainly sounds like a hum bar and it certainly could be crosstalk from another source.

Any other Ellie/HTPC owners out there?

Richard

3. mjwhitehouse

mjwhitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having just had my wayward tenant finally pay me his rent before I took him to court on Tuesday, I am £1772 better off than yesterday. So I bought a GeForce 2 MX 400 from Novatech and the picture is now brilliant. I have to assume it was the graphics card. It was a strange phenomenon, down the edges of peoples faces, there would be a step in the edge which would go up judt like they were about to morph into something. I now have a completely redundant Real Magic card as the computer is well up to DVD on its own. By the way 800 x 600 was easy on the Ellie but the picture was much softer than 640 x 480 so I have stuck with that. Thanks for the help everybody and hope the solution helps others.

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Can the Ellie do custom resolutions?

If it could then you could try running it at 848x480 or 1024x576, for true 16:9 films and stuff.

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    The black moving line sounds like a hum bar. That means there's an earth loop in the system somewhere.

The other thing I would need to see to understand so "sorry" on that one.

Is there anything else connected to the Ellie or to the PC. ie Video or sKY BOX ETC?

I'm going away for a few days now though so hopefully soem other folk will be able to help you sort this out....

Gordon

6. pauledwards

pauledwards

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem with my RealMagic card when i first installed it.. A quick look in some online faqs and found that it can be corrected through the card's configure options.. you just have to change the "stability" level to one where the verticals stop waving etc..

7. mjwhitehouse

mjwhitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the tips. I will try the config bit as I may try to offload the card to a friend and want to make sure it works first.