1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shimmer/solarisation on Progressive

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sniffer66, Feb 23, 2005.

1. sniffer66

sniffer66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,278
    Hi

I probably should post this in the PC forum but I've tried asking and no-one seems able to give me an answer ! I've also drawn a blank at PluggedIN - TV

I have a Panny PW5 (852 x480). My HTPC has a Sweetspot card and I'm feeding the RGB signal straight from my SKY+ via the dedicated PluggedinTV Van Damme Scart to RBG input on the Sweetspot (sync is on svid). Output to my Plasma is via Dscaler to a Radeon 9600 ,analogue VGA cable direct to the Panny.

I've set up the resolution using Powerstrip to feed a 50 hz signal at either 848x480 (nr 1:1 mapping), 1024x576 or 1072x600. All obviously Progessive !

The problem I have is that at any resolution I see a strange jagged edged shimmer on many unfocused backgrounds and on football pitch grass (grouped around the mown lines) Its not what I'd call solarisation i.e poor gradation of colour but is worse when seeing a solid block of the same colour. Anything "in focus" has a superb PQ

Its worse on some deinterlacing algorothims than others but I'm trying to get an understanding of what could be causing it and hoping one of the experts on this forum may have seen something similar with stand alone scaler+SD plasma.

If I could understand whether it might be cables, power noise, plasma restrictions etc I'd know where to start !

I definitely didnt see the problem with a straight svideo feed from SKY to the screen OR an RGB-component converted signal without the HTPC in place

Thanks in advance

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Sniffer,

I am probably risking a flaming from the HTPC brigade but hope to get away with it!

Jagged edges on long-shots are plasma artefacts in my opinion. A high-def plasma reduces them significantly, and my Lumagen DVI virtually banishes them - no doubt the same can be achieved with fancy software on an HTPC but that is beyond me... :D :D

3. sniffer66

sniffer66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,278
    Piers

Thamks for the response. Im not sure I explained clearly enough. I'm not getting "jaggies" as such but what I can only call large blobs of shimmer on surfaces

Any ideas ?

Thanks

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +857
    Sounds like solarisation to me which is down to the actual panel processing. I get it on my PWD6 on certain scenes even when feeding it via a video processor with an SDI modded dvd player as the source.

5. sniffer66

sniffer66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,278
    Very interesting - knowing its not just me helps. :)

I always understood solarisation to be bands of colour rather than a gradual change i.e the way a monitor in 640x480 shows colours. Am I wrong ?

Any explanation as to why this doesnt happen on an interlaced Svideo signal OR a Scart - Component converted ? Obviously both are Interlaced - could it be the way the SD Plasma's scaler handles the interlaced signal ?

6. sniffer66

sniffer66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,278
    Actually just had a "Doh !!" moment. If I plug my VGA output from the PC straight into my standard monitor and still get the issue its a problem with my cables/PC/Apps etc. If not its a limitation of the Plasma !

Sound feasible ?? :)

7. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +857
    That's colour banding, where you can see distinct bands rather than a smooth graduation of colour. I don't find this too objectionable to be honest.

Not sure. I only feed my panel a Progressive signal (720p for NTSC & 600p for PAL) and get it on both but it only rears it's ugly head on certain scenes. Fog and underwater scenes are the worst culprits. You can sometimes get it on certain scenes where there's a dark background.

Both these "problems" are down to the actual plasma itself, you're not the only one seeing it. We have a JVC plasma as well and that's also the same, albeit less obvious. The JVC has more dithering (dancing green dots).