1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shift lens projectors

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mechrekt, Apr 11, 2003.

1. mechrekt

mechrekt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you show me a list about projectors that has the "shift lens" feature?

I think this is an important feature (no digital keystone correction, but optical) when choosing a new projector to buy like me ;)

When I'll have a good list of them I think I'll start comparing them to choose the better one. :)

Thank you!

2. Anders_UK

Anders_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most new single chip DLP's have this feature. The amount varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and they all quote it in a different way too! Which is nice!

Because of the optics and the nature of the reflective DLP chip, the light has to normally pass through a beamsplitter, which loses a vast amount of light, so to make them more efficient they have the chip offset at more than 100% so there is no need for a beamsplitter configuration.

It is a very important feature, but because the offset is normally a percentage of image height then the amount (in MM) will vary with image size. Most hi-end projectors actually have motors to move the lens assembly, but cheapies have a fixed offset designed into them.

3. Ice

Ice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mechrekt

I know that the Sanyo Z1 has an optical lens shift feature. It is able to shift the picture both horizontally as well as vertically. I have seen it work, and it's quite impressive because:

(a) it is easy and quick to use
    (b) there is no trapezoidal light overspill that you get with digital correction
    (c) no loss in picture quality.

On the Z1, you can shift horizonatally up to 1/4 screen width and vertical shift is 1/2 screen height.

Cheers,
    Ice :cool:

4. LegalEagle

LegalEagle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0