• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Shielding records from heat from stove

DT79

Distinguished Member
We’ve recently decorated the lounge and as part of that I had all my AV and network cabling installed. Although everything seemed OK on paper, the new position for the hifi does seem rather closer than ideal to the stove, and as you can see I have my records stored at the bottom of the rack. The hifi cannot be located anywhere else.

They will not be subject to intense heat in this position but it will definitely get warm. During the winter when we use the stove there will be a metal coal bucket on the right hand side of the hearth, where the candle stick is currently, which will shield the records from directly radiated heat to a large extent, but I don’t want to take any chances.

I’m going to put a 12”*12” square of something in the bottom left of the rack to protect the records there. The question is what would be the best material to use (i.e. what will conduct the least heat?)

Wood? Polystyrene? Slate?

IMG_0477.jpeg

MaryWhitehouse

Prominent Member
That’s a lovely setup. Have you measured the temps? You might be surprised and not need anything. Rather than insulating as such I think I’d try something to introduce an air gap between the end of the rack and the vinyl. Maybe you could find the box of a special edition set and put that in place so there’s the air space but fits with the rack?
ps what’s your turntable? Love the platter.

DT79

Distinguished Member
That’s a lovely setup. Have you measured the temps? You might be surprised and not need anything. Rather than insulating as such I think I’d try something to introduce an air gap between the end of the rack and the vinyl. Maybe you could find the box of a special edition set and put that in place so there’s the air space but fits with the rack?
Thank you. It's a good idea about the gap, I was thinking something like that, but I didn't think of an empty box-set box. :thumbsup:

The heat does drop off dramatically as you move further from the stove and particularly laterally. I remember being paranoid when we had a wicker wood basket on the right hand side of the hearth and I would check it all the time, but it was surprising that the side closest to the stove never got more than slightly warm, and the other side didn't seem warmer at all, so you may be right. You know how it is though, I'm just getting a bit twitchy.

TT is a Clearaudio Performance DC. The patter is made from POM/Delrin (fancy plastic), it's pretty heavy as well.

MaryWhitehouse

Prominent Member
Maybe get some of those temp changing stickers on the rack temporarily so you can see what happens. Very nice looking bit of kit :)

Ugg10

Distinguished Member

Clue is in the Sig - Clearaudio Performance DC/Clarify/Concept MC ;)

Like @MaryWhitehouse suggestion of something inside a box set - Status Quo three album box set would be a good choice maybe cheap at a charity shop :D - maybe 10mm aluminium plate (sink) or granite chopping block/work top off cut (sheild) ?

MaryWhitehouse

Prominent Member

DT79

Distinguished Member

gibbsy

70% of the heat from a log or multi fuel burner goes up the chimney. That heat is naturally different as the fire is given more fuel and oxygen, so control is important. Personally I'd be more worried about the pollutants and dust on your lovely kit every time you open the door to put fuel on.

I just can't see peoples' love affair with log burners.

DT79

Distinguished Member
70% of the heat from a log or multi fuel burner goes up the chimney. That heat is naturally different as the fire is given more fuel and oxygen, so control is important. Personally I'd be more worried about the pollutants and dust on your lovely kit every time you open the door to put fuel on.

I just can't see peoples' love affair with log burners.

I am very conscious of this and very careful. To be honest we don't use it much these days. We used to use it loads when we first moved in to this house because the central heating was crap, but since we got that sorted the house is always warm in winter and we just don't normally feel the need to get the fire going. Personally I'd happily let it sit there for decoration only from now on!

gibbsy

I can see log burners being banned in the not too distant future. Having been brought up with open coal fires (Welsh coal, only the best would do) and having to light them on freezing coal winter mornings. Couple that with having to put out peoples' chimney fires on numerous occasions I have a real dislike of log or multi fuel burners. Nothing beats the flick of a switch.

dogfonos

Prominent Member
Having been brought up with open coal fires (Welsh coal, only the best would do) and having to light them on freezing coal winter mornings.

gibbsy

Well I wish my dad had been mining Yorkshire coal (second rate against Welsh coal mind you) we would have had food every other week then. Spoiled rotten them Yorkers.

Good reply, enjoyed that. Great sketch.

MaryWhitehouse

Prominent Member
We used to dream of food every other week

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom