Shielded Subwoofer cable for custom install recommendations

T1berious

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Rather sadly I have to get about 15 meters of shielded Subwoofer cable to remediate an issue. The installer has agreed to do a new cable install externally as the build is finished.

Can anyone recommend a decent Subwoofer cable that's shielded?

Hoping to get the cable in next week so the sparkie can complete work.

Cheers for any advice.

T1b

Hi,
I presume you need an RCA cable? If that's the case, my choice would be star-quad cable from Mogami or Canare. They have excellent shielding and very low resistance. Those are the most important things in such a long run.

I’ve always used the Amazon basics subs cable but I’ve also used these and I was very happy with them. Better shielding than the Amazon, pure copper, thinner and more flexible and not overly expensive.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Descent satellite TV, coax cable with Phono heads on.
We used this a lot as a solution when I was installing within a buildings walls, easier to run, designed for outdoor use, usually double shielded with braid and copper jacket.

Insist on WF100, it is one of the better constructions in regards to screening and build.
TBH I am surprised your installer didn't think of it.

Descent satellite TV, coax cable with Phono heads on.
We used this a lot as a solution when I was installing within a buildings walls, easier to run, designed for outdoor use, usually double shielded with braid and copper jacket.

Insist on WF100, it is one of the better constructions in regards to screening and build.
TBH I am surprised your installer didn't think of it.

He was the sparkie on the build rather than an AV installer. Lessons learned....

I've ordered some Audioquest Black Lab terminated sub woofer cable that's double shielded and going to be routed round the back of the build.

I'll be stunned if this doesn't resolve the issue but will be testing it prior to install.

Cheers T1b

Sorry, I thought it was going outside.

If it is, i wouldn't use any normal sub cables, the jackets are not designed for the challenges of outdoor life.

What’s the actual issue you’re trying to solve? If it’s hum from the sub it might not be the cable. It very rarely is.

So after a couple of hours changing source cables, moving everything to a different power circuit, trying a different sub and even taking the amp out of the mix by using the sub out on the Blusound Node 2i I decided to move the sub and connect it directly to the Amp.

Hum gone.

This alone made me realise that the cable used in the install was wrong (it was also unshielded).

52526778305_9b83f681b7_z.jpg

Got the sparkie back showed him the issue and the fix, he tried a few things (a new phono connector and soldering that on at the sub end) still a hum. He's back in a few weeks to install a new cable and house it in a housing suitable to being outside.

I'll be testing it (the new cable) next week.

Just one of those things, with hindsight I should have used an AV installer to do the Hi Fi part of the build.

Meh

Last edited:
If you can, at the same time as he installs the cable you bought, add a WF100 coax cable at the same time. (Its a brand name and will be written on the cable)

Then if the bought one fails for any reason in the future, you have something that can be used without running another one.

(If finding some is an issue i could send you some)

AR

If you can, at the same time as he installs the cable you bought, add a WF100 coax cable at the same time. (Its a brand name and will be written on the cable)

Then if the bought one fails for any reason in the future, you have something that can be used without running another one.

(If finding some is an issue i could send you some)

AR

Thats awfully generous of you, muchas gracias!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom