Shield alternatives (since I can’t find any in stock)

Reaction score
Just after a bit of advice. I had planned to get an Nvidia shield pro to use as a media streamer and plex server.

But having waited months for stock with no luck I’m wondering if there’s any alternatives worth looking at? I don’t need anything super fancy. Netflix, amazon, kodi and plex. I did love that the shield had the option of game emulation too.

Budget is £200

Should I look elsewhere or just be patient and wait for the shield to come back in stock.

thank you.

If you need/want a plex server, then devices are nas, pc, etc not in my opinion, as easy to set up as the shield.

If you need/want a plex server, then devices are nas, pc, etc not in my opinion, as easy to set up as the shield.

And also more expensive. I have no problems with a PC, never used a NAS before.

I'd wait for the shield to become available.

I'd wait for the shield to become available.
+1

I'm after a Shield Pro 2019.. Guessing production came to a halt due to covid-19 and factories shutting down.

I own both an Apple TV 4K (which has Kodi coming to it in the next version.. which will be interesting to try), but definitely waiting for a Shield though.. My 2017 model replaced my HTPC pc easily with minimal fuss.

+1

I'm after a Shield Pro 2019.. Guessing production came to a halt due to covid-19 and factories shutting down.

I own both an Apple TV 4K (which has Kodi coming to it in the next version.. which will be interesting to try), but definitely waiting for a Shield though.. My 2017 model replaced my HTPC pc easily with minimal fuss.

From what I have read, I'm not sure the 2019 version is much better than the 2017.
But obviously it's up you.

From what I have read, I'm not sure the 2019 version is much better than the 2017.
But obviously it's up you.

The remote is superior and it is noticeably faster to me. I have two of the new remotes, one for my 2017, one spare.

The 2017 are also out of stock everywhere too as they are out of production and I like to buy new, so I've no choice at the moment.

I own both an Apple TV 4K (which has Kodi coming to it in the next version..

Hi mate have you got a link for this? In All honesty I would expect it to function exactly the same way as MrMC does, which is already available. It would still be interesting to have a read and see what addons/features they decide to bake into the build

cheers

Hi mate have you got a link for this? In All honesty I would expect it to function exactly the same way as MrMC does, which is already available. It would still be interesting to have a read and see what addons/features they decide to bake into the build

cheers
If of interest at all

If of interest at all

Cheers mate, I was aware of sideloading with xcode but I assume the 7 day limit for none paid Dev accounts was still in play?

Either way, my reading of the original post was that an app store version may soon be available, I would assume in order to gain approval they would have to remove the ability to install the python add-ons, with the only ones available being those already prebuilt into the package , like MrMC.

Apple TV 4K 32GB in stock here:

It's only news at the moment..
Dephilla from MrMC (MrMC is available on the Apple TV, Infuse - both at a cost) helped out the team behind the ATV4K development.

MrMC (£6.99)

iNfuse (Free with in app purchase to Pro version)

Infuse Pro (£26.99)

I wasn't even aware you could install Kodi on an Apple TV at all..

Thanks all. I’ll wait for the shield.

I did think about a HTPC but the shield seems less fuss.

I moved from a HTPC to the Shield and a couple of 8tb extrnals.. best thing I ever done for my collection.. and saved a ton of space! :)

+1

If you are playing streaming Dolby Vision then that is the main benefit of the 2019 version. The remote is also much better. I upgraded for the DV but in the end it was disappointing because I wanted to play DV rips.

One thing to note if you are playing 4K sources then although it sounds great the Shield lacks a little in the low end. I only noticed this when I compared it to the Oppo playing the same files. As I said it does sound great but there is a difference.

If you’re still looking scan is showing in stock mate

Good stuff! Where did you find it?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom