1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sherwood VD-5108 dvd player......

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mr Kardon, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Mr Kardon

Mr Kardon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This probably won't interest many if any of you but in my last post I said I would let you know.I've had this about a week now ,and I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised.This is a solid dvd player ,build wise and looks I'd give it a 10/10,the loading mechanism is smooth ,the front panel is in brushed aluminium with a gold finish{same gold as Yammie receivers} the rest of the dvd player is well built you'd be forgiven if thought on looks alone it was a high end dvd player.Around the back you have all your basic outputs :Coaxial,optical and for video you have Composite,s-video and the best hookup being via the component output,which is what I'm using and the picture is clear ,natural looking, great colour saturation, no bleeding, looks as good if not better in some aspects than any other dvd player I've had . This player sounds great.As I mentioned in my last post I've had a number of dvd players including the "Onkyo DV-757 " which supported the DVD-Audio format and the" Pioneer DV656a" which supported DVD-AUDIO an SACD,so besides the fact that the Sherwood doesn't support these new formats, going on performance of dvd-video alone this player SOUNDS and I emphasise sounds because it really has added something to the whole sound stage,it is more dynamic and channel seperation is much more prominent and evident than any other dvd player I've had.The menu is suffice ,setup is relatively easy the only problem I have is with the remote , the button layout is pretty bad ,e.g The play and enter button are the same button, there are two cursors ,the small cursor is for navigating the menus whilst the much bigger cursor is for controlling the basic playback funtions ,so whilst using the smaller cursor for navigation purposes you have to go to the bigger cursor directly above to press play which is also acts as mentioned as the enter /confirmation button but after awhile you get used to it ,apart from that every button that needs to be there is there.So to finish yes it's designed in the U.S.A and assembled in China but I have to say that it is the best dvd player I've had and it only cost me $350 so I'm pleased.:laugh: Thanks for your patience amazing how much you can write when your bored ,Oh well until next time!!!:smoke:

2. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    However its not amazing how hard it is to read without breaking it up into smaller paragraphs :)

Glad you like you new toy :)

3. Mr Kardon

Mr Kardon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're right ,I got carried away and therefore clean forgot .My apologies.:smoke: