Sherwood D-480 cassette deck - how to service?

pmr1973

Standard Member
I am hoping to put light a few problems affecting my cassette deck. Both decks on it now have fairly similar problems, causing the unit to cut out briefly.

In the case of the left (B), playback only deck, it can now only be used in the forward direction. If an attempt is made to play the reverse side, the head only turns half way and has to be manually turned back to restore forward operation.

The A deck now only operates in a forward direction and with the head not quite correctly aligned. I can't see me needing to record with it again but it did so OK last time I did, before this problem arose.

I have not serviced an auto-reverse deck before, but, other than cleaning the mechanism, is there anything else worth doing or any useful tips?

If there is a specific service manual for this model, that may help too.

larkone

Search on a well known auction site for one that is for sale not far from you (pick up only) might be a lot easier if it is is full working condition.

pmr1973

Standard Member
I don't think I'd buy another of these. A single deck with auto reverse and Dolby C would be fine. Needn't even be capable of recording.

larkone

Plenty of those going very cheap s/hand - much easier than trying to fix one. I would check freecycle as they are difficult to give away now.

pmr1973

Standard Member
Found why it went wrong and it's not worth trying to put right with cracked plastic parts. In any case, have bought another similar one, though a different model, to replace it.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom