Sherwood (BBC Crime Drama Series)

I liked the fact there was no grand unifying conspiracy or even an accidental one, it was happenstance and coincidence and messy. A bit like life. And if anything it wasn't as political as it should have been. Sometimes you should go full Jimmy McGovern!

I liked the fact there was no grand unifying conspiracy or even an accidental one, it was happenstance and coincidence and messy. A bit like life. And if anything it wasn't as political as it should have been. Sometimes you should go full Jimmy McGovern!
Personally, I like logical plot with a nice tidy conclusion.
Everything just being random was very unsatisfying for me and my better half.

Started well, nicely paced build up and good acting - but storyline quickly deteriorated into absurdity and a pretty unsatisfying ending. A missed opportunity IMHO.

Started well, nicely paced build up and good acting - but storyline quickly deteriorated into absurdity and a pretty unsatisfying ending. A missed opportunity IMHO.
That doesn't bode well for me. I've only seen the first two episodes so far , and not enjoyed them 😃

I stumbled across this show when I was flicking through the channels one night and I thought "this place looks familiar!"

After watching it for a few minutes, I just assumed it was a coincidence as there are probably lots of streets up and down the country that could be passed off out of familiarity, as well as there being one scene within a few minutes that was filmed outside what seemed to be a stately home that I had never seen before, so I carried on channel surfing.

Turns out there was a reason why it looked familiar, and that was because it was shot local to where I grew up.

Well, that was a woefully disappointing ending to a half-decent series.

None of the miners strike stuff or the plotline about the undercover cop from the 80s were remotely relevant to anything. In the end it was just about some idiot psycho who killed a few people because he wanted to be 'noticed'. WTF? At least I think that was his explanation. Kinda hard to tell without subtitles as he mumbled his confession through his thick accent... Another top job from the BBC sound department. They never learn do they?

Alan Armstrong deserved everything he got (who shouts 'Scab!' during a wedding speech? *!) & the rest of the cast who were still banging on about the strikes I just felt like shouting '! Get over it! It was 40 YEARS AGO!'

Such a shame. It was well made & the cast was great, but the writing was just terrible. Hope the (inexplicably already announced) second series gets a better script...
I agree that the ending was relatively unsatisfying. I assume that it was because the cause of the real murders was also 'unsatisfying' - the real-life archer committed his murder because he was mentally unstable and whilst the real-life father in law murderer was a character of ill repute (he was an abuser of his former wives apparently ) but died before his case came to court so the reason for shooting his daughter-in-law was never fully determined. The details are included on this BBC Sounds podcast which also has a contribution from the writer of this BBC drama and perhaps gives some context to his approach to writing this series, especially in relation to the historical issues within the mining community?

Just to correct something... it was his daughter that the abusive father killed - shot her a few days after her wedding and then when caught refused to eat for 2 years and died in jail. In the program it was portrayed as the daughter in law.

You are correct though, the real life reasons were not like as portrayed in the program. The main murderer was convinced his victim was out to get him and that he was taking his house apart brick by brick.... needless to say he ended up in a nut house ;)

I agree that the final episode wasn't great and am struggling to see how they can do a second series given that this was supposedly based on a couple of murders. They were loosely based on them but nothing like the original murders which also didn't happen at the same time as far as I can remember. Edit - I was wrong about the times, they were within 11 days of each other - so much for my memory :)

The bloke Gary who was shot with the arrow was not realistic in my opinion. There was no way he'd still be going to the same club that many years after the strike and still calling people a scab. He'd have been slapped many years ago and slapped time and again until he either stopped or went drinking elsewhere.

That many years after the strike I never noticed any of this sort of thing in the pubs and in my local area, strikers and non-strikers were drinking together and it was never really mentioned. I have read about families being split apart by the strike but it's not as common as they are making out.

I think the writer started out with an agenda and I just hope it doesn't make old animosities boil up again. It was disappointing as well that none of them mentioned what I heard many working miners say at the time - if they'd have been given a vote, they would have voted to strike, but they were not given a vote, they were told they were on strike and that pissed them off.

PS - I have never been a miner and wasn't part of a mining familly but most of my mates were.
As someone who was very involved in the Miners Strike and particularly with the strikers in a Nottingham pit I found some of this very painful to watch. Those mining village communities were torn apart by the strike at the time.
Pleased to read that those scars have healed.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom