Sherwood - AX4050R Output

Murkle

Novice Member
Hi All,

My Sherwood amp was working fine and has done for years, in September last yeat i purchased some Wharfdale Diamond speakers as i had given my last pair away.
All was working fine until a few weeks ago I started getting some buzzing/hum through the new speakers.

Today when i switched it on, there was no humming and when I went to play a tune, no sound is coming out at all whioch I am finding a little distressing.
I have re seated all cabled and checked all the settings. The amp powers on fine, just no sound is produced.

I know its a bit of a stab in the dark but can anyone suggest anything to look at?

With thanks

Murkle

Murkle

Novice Member
Turns out the speaker output had been disabled by a small child.
Still get a nasty hum coming through the speakers. Could this be caused by dust or electrical corrosion in the amp perhaps? If so what is the best way to clean it.
I've had the amp 20years or so, I'd hate to retire it.

larkone

More than likely a failing power supply if you have eliminated any ground loop issues.

Murkle

Novice Member
Thanks for your reply.
I haven't - not sure how i would. Will try replacing my power bar and see how that holds up.

larkone

unplug all inputs and if it still happens then likely to the power supply, if it stops add each input back one at a time and see which one is the cause

larkone

Failing power supplies can be a fire risk - I would avoid using it. You could try to get it repaired but it will cost more than the unit is worth. There are several on the bay between £20-£70

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom