1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sherwood 6106 & Gale Sub problem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Blunted, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Blunted

Blunted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im a bit of a noob to all this AV capers, so go easy please.

Been happy enough with my uber-budget surround setup until now, when I decided to pick up a cheapo Gale sub to supplement the bass a bit.

Hooked it up, switched the sub to "Y" in the speaker setup menu, and I'm getting nothing through it. Not even the test tone. Tried it with my crappy old Sanyo stereo's Sub Out, and its working fine with that.

Can anyone offer any advice or point out something i may have missed?

Stupid q, but could it be because its Pro Logic 2 my amp is outputting from my xbox? My dvd player is broke, so I can't check it with DD.

Thanks for any help.

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    for pro logic 2 to produce bass through the sub you may have to set all speakers to small on the sherwood, it has pretty shoddy bass management! ive had 2 in my time.

3. Blunted

Blunted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the response, but no joy with all the speakers set to "s" either. Im thinking its time to start looking for a better amp.

4. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    i have a 6106R........sub worked fine for me........altho im sure my 6106R only had Pro Logic, not PL2.......

you have plugged it in to the subwoofer ouput havnt you? not the input? (that amp isnt in my room atm so i cant remember for sure, but it does have ext inputs if i remember right...lol)........

does the sub have hi-level connection as well as LFE connection? if it does, leave the amp set to large fronts and do that, all the LFE goes to the fronts that way and you can use it that way......untill you upgrade...lol

5. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    If the amp alows try turning the sub right up and turning the sub itself down (and try vice versa too), it maybe that the signal is not big enough to kick in, also make sure that its pluged in to the 'in' usualy left channel (sometimes marked as mono). If the sub has one plug only and non of this work, either the sub is duff or your amp is not working as it should (possibly a design 'feature')

As the sub works from another unit it does sugest its a problem on the amp side, one last thing make sure its pluged in the 'sub out' section and you could even test it by plugging it into the left/right out if your amp has one (it'll try to play more than sub souns but it will confirm where the problem lies)

6. Blunted

Blunted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh yeah, my bad, its PL, not PL2 :D

Its definitely plugged in to the sub out, the 1st thing i thought was that i had plugged it in to the 6ch direct input by mistake, but i haven't. The sub has got hi-level connections, so I will have to just go through them for just now.

Cheers for all the help people.

*edit* Oh yeah, tried it with the amp sub volume right up/down and vice versa with the sub volume control. No joy.

7. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    if your lucky, i might dig out my old 6106 and try it :D

8. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    Pro logic wont output hardly any deep bass anyway....even setting the speakers to small (80hz if i remember right on the sherwood) wont mean a lot of bass coming out for the sub to handle.........even on my Denon 3803 reciever my sub hardly does anything with PL2.....however my front speakers are set to large, and i think my centre only outputs lower than 60hz to the sub......

one thing tho, if set to small, have you made sure on the sub you have the upper limit frequency knob/dial/whatever turned up to 80hz so the sub will play anything under that?.......didnt notice you mentioning trying that in the thread.....ya never know..lol