Shelving fron Ikea..tech help advice need

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by bass007, Oct 21, 2004.

1. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hi, I have quite a few Records 12" singles, about 300 to be precise, I would to put them on some shekving, although floating shelves would look great, but beacuse of the weight it's a no no.

I have come across these shelves in Ikea,

http://www.ikea.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...uctId=11102&langId=-20&parentCats=10104*10172

The are held on the sides by heavy metal brackets which slot into the sides. will this be able to accept heavy loads? the brackets cost more than the shelf.

2. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    As long as you use decent rawl/wall plugs and fairly long screws on a fairly solid wall you should be ok. The brackets are pretty substantial, I've spent more time in IKEA than is healthy :blush:

3. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    well, thanx, just to clarify, I will be putting them in a solid wall not plasterboard, what kind of length of screws are we talkinh about, beacuse each shelf will be bearing the weight of about 50 records which is very heavy. Do I need special raw plugs?

4. F1Boy

F1Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Bass,

How thick is your wall...? :D Seriously though the length of the screws shouldn't matter all that much - the force of a shelf acts down so as long as you have a reasonable depth of screw in the wall that should support it. Don't know how thick the brackets are but 1" - 1 1/2" of the screw in the wall should do it. Try these for plugs.

Have you considered the fact that the shelves will probably bow with that kind of weight on them...?

Maybe think about fitting (glue / glue & pin) a small plinth to the bottom front for the entire width of the shelf? (just a piece of 18x33mm baton on it's narrow end). This should prevent any bowing.

Good luck,

Matt

5. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    The link you provided didn't work, The wall is a main wall which separates me from the neighbours.

I will be puting 2 shelves per row, each shelf will be no more than 1 metre in length. Each shelf is 2.5cm thick.

Given the lenght of the shelf and thickness, will I still get bowing?

6. F1Boy

F1Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Damn Screwfix :rolleyes: - check back though - it'll probably work tomorrow.

While I certainly don't mean any disrespect - are you positive the wall is solid brick in my (very limited) experience walls between houses (especially modern-ish ones) seem to be at least partly plasterboard...?

When it comes to DIY I'm a kind of 'belt and braces' guy... 1" thick shelves are pretty substantial but I would still fit a plinth. If there is plasterboard involved I would also consider 'no-nail'ing a baton to the wall underneath the shelf to provide a little more support and relieve some force from the screws.

Again - if there is plasterboard - different rawl plugs will have to be used - see my comments on these in the thread 'mounting 32'' lcd (20kg) onto plasterboard walls' in the same catagory here on the forums.

Matt

7. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hi, No plasterboard involed. ok I'll give them a go without the batton and see how it goes. If no I will have no alternative.

8. hatcher

hatcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bass,

Just to add to this discussion, I'd use rawbolts to secure the brackets (assuming the fixing is into brick/concrete block). Unlike a LCD/Plasma screen fixing where most of the force is downwards here, because of the weight and leverage, there is a substantial pull outwards. Many plugs will eventualy give. You can get then in Homebase in many sizes to suit. I used four 2" 8mm ones to hold a shelf my 17kg CD player was on for several year.

Cheers,

Hatcher

9. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    ok i'll look into that