SHELLY & ROTARY DIMMER

TheSceptic

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I've been reading about this topic a lot and it's driving me nuts so I need a final answer.
I have to say that my electrical knowledge is nowhere near that of the group here, so please be merciful ;)

So:
As part of our renovation, we will install rotary dimmers for various lamps/lights.

My goal is:
1. Control Lamps (LEDs, ceiling lamps) via the ROTARY DIMMER in the wall to: a) dim b) switch on/off. (No problem, that's exactly what the ROTARY DIMMER is built for)
2. Switch these lamps on/off with a SHELLY.

It would be nice to be able to dim with the Shelly as well, but that doesn't seem possible if I understand correctly.

So ask:
How can I reach my goal?
My rotary dimmer is "Push ON/OFF rotary dimmer with 3 way switching" (has 1 knob that turns on and off when you turn it)

You can’t use rotary switches with Shelly or any other smart device that I am aware of .

Better to use 3 way centre off retractive switches if you want dimming control at the switch

Even if all I want the Shelly to do is to turn on/off?
The Dimming would exclusively happen with the manual dimmer..

unfortunately yes. A rotary switch is a rheostat that increases and reduces electricity as it’s turned. This is incompatible with Shelly as the switch sits in between the light fitting and the Shelly device so the increase and decrease would have no effect on the bulb and could end up damaging the Shelly module

Last edited:
You can’t use a rotary switch due to how they work. Aurora make a Zigbee dimmer which fits the bill for what you need. It’s excellent and incredibly reliable.

It’s ok found it , not a device that connects to the electrical circuit so slightly different

Even if all I want the Shelly to do is to turn on/off?
The Dimming would exclusively happen with the manual dimmer..
If your totally set on the Shelly you could probably use the battery version of the Aurora dimmer and combine them in Home Assistant or similar. So the Aurora would just become and input device that adjust the dimmer settings.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom