Shelly Dimmer2 with door contact

mstar

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I want to use a shelly dimmer 2 with a Shelly door/window sensor. I want to use it to switch on my LED strip lights in my bathroom. Can i set a timer to stay on for 10 mins AND can this reset every time the door is open? I am thinking if your having a shower and its more than 10mins its not practical to get out of the shower AND then open the door for another 10mins. Can you confirm it can work and reset at each door close?

I wont have a dimmer to turn on or off the led strip so i wanted it to be exclusively (for now), via the shelly door sensor.

thanks

Thanks, i am new to smart home (only as i inherited a house with LW devices), and now i am hooked lol

I have sent emails to shelly support but not had a answer yet, but i wanted to ask does the device allow the shelly door sensor AND a 1 gang switch to control the light? so there is 2 ways a light can come on (and off?). Sorry for my poor knowledge i rang my electrician and he didn/t know and advised i ask shelly as he will charge call out if he has to mess around and it doesn't work.

Also, once linked can you create routines in Alexa to switch on shelly devices?

Last edited:
Fantastic thanks for your help.

I have 1 gang 1 way dimmer switch (see below link), will it be ok to wire this to below dimmer or any dimmer switch, i don't want to get a dimmer switch and then this shelly switch doesn't work with it.

I thought as it's called a dimmer2 it could be used with a dimmer. My misunderstanding. So basically my option is to have it control my lighting by shelly door contact (shelly dimmer wired to lights), or via the app, it seems like.

Btw why do shelly not have any help line lol

No it called a dimmer 2 because it’s a dimming module

You can use it with the door contact,Alexa, the app or via a switch which can act as a dimmer switch

+359 2 988 7435 But you may need to brush up on your Bulgarian

The U.K. shop is just a official reseller with no direct connection to the Shelly manufacturer

FYI - Shelly have a very active group on Facebook as a heads up, should you need it.

Does anyone have any recommended switches for the shelly dimmer 2? i am confused on this whole push button style switches but then it can act as a dimmer on pressing?
this is a touch on/off switch is this something that work?

sorry i know i am being thick here.

Once again you can’t use any touch controller switches with the Shelly as they are active live equipment themselves

You can use retractive or momentary mechanical switches

You can keep asking but the answer will be the same

ok so i tried ringing Shelly last week and didnt get much success.

However, my bathroom (just a WC and basin) is complete. Just lighting to do.

Before i order i have a LED strip light on one side and a normal GU10 light fitting in the ceiling.
Currently my electrician has wired this a standard 2 gang rotary dimmer switch, until i get my house smart devices together.

please crique if my understanding is incorrect

1. I wanted the LED strip light (which has a dimmable driver in the wall cavity), to switch on automatically when shelly door sensor has OPEN command.

2. The existing GU10 light fitting, i wanted this to be also control by a shelly device so the level of brightness can be adjusted to not blind me in such a small room.

So my conclusion is

Solution 1:
To enable 1 and 2 to be completely hidden away with no physical light switch and is fully automated by the door opening/closing i need 2 x Shelly dimmer2 hidden in the wall.
1 x Shelly dimmer2 wired to the LED strip and 1 x Shelly Dimmer2 to the GU10 fitting. Is that correct?

Solution 2:
Use a 2 gang momentary switch which each gang connects to a seperate shelly dimmer2's?
So when manually pressing each button 1 gang dimmer level of switch can be set (for example) to 50% and the other gang on the dimmer switch can be 100%. Both when shelly door contact is in OPEN contact can also put the dimming of the 2 light fittings automatically to 50% and 100%.

Can someone correct me if the shelly dimmer2 is the right device to do above? and if there is anything else i need?

On the face of it either option will work fine

the Shelly app is quite powerful to create scenes but it can’t do the same as a ha controller can do so just bear that in mind if you want to go further with complex procedures

E9F31967-B7B3-4088-BFEB-3F9D49811DFC.png

Thanks sbriggs.

so for what i what i want to do the app be sufficient without a HA hub, looking at your screenshot.

Also, i take it the Shelly don't have a dimmer module which wires to a existing normal dimmer switch so it can be controllable via the app, and manually via existing normal dimmer switch (i am thinking in case the dimmer2 stops working the switch still work as it has a normal dimmer switch.

Last edited:
i didn't word the 2nd part correct -my apologies i searched and found the answer.

BTW does the shelly dimmer2 once paired ever need to be manually paired to the app? as it will sit inside a wall i don't want to regularly take it out of the light switch to manually pair or reset it. Any experience if once it working it will not require manual pairing/resetting on the dimmer2 device it self (e.g power cuts etc)?

The simple answer is no it shouldn’t but I have had one “fall off” the app and had to reset it .

however this is rare and isn’t the case with power cuts or anything obvious

such a silly question, but is there a difference between a "Push on and off impulse switch" compared to " Push-to-Make Momentary Switch" anyone know are these the same and the shellyDimmer2 will work?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom