Question Shelly Dimmer2 with and without neutral

techno79

I understand that the Shelly Dimmer2 can be at the light switch both with and without neutral at the light switch. From what I understand, if there is no neutral, then there is a small amount of power that is still sent to the lights when off (it's low enough that the bulbs don't light up) to ensure the Shelly remains powered.

My question is, if the switch controls say 6x LED spotlights that are 5W each. How much vampire drain will the no neutral wiring be more than the neutral wiring? And does the vampire drain scale proportionally to the number of spotlights that are controlled by the switch?

I'm trying to do some napkin maths to work out the annual cost of the "no neutral" option vs "neutral option" for my house.

Maverick567

I believe each Shelly device draws 1 watt of power to function. Wouldn’t imagine there will be any difference with or without a neutral, as the device has to be powered to the same level in both configuration to function. The neutral does however result in much more reliable dimming.

techno79

I believe each Shelly device draws 1 watt of power to function. Wouldn’t imagine there will be any difference with or without a neutral, as the device has to be powered to the same level in both configuration to function. The neutral does however result in much more reliable dimming.
But without neutral, the Shelly can only get power by sending a small amount of power to all the lights (not enough for them to be turned on). Surely this will cause extra power to be consumed? Especially if I have 6 spotlights connected to the switch, no?

Maverick567

I may be wrong, but it basically runs on the leakage, the power usage is so minute that it isn’t even worth worrying about! I think the simple answer to your question is, if you have a neutral use it as it’s the most reliable way to use them.

techno79

Got you, thanks for your help. Hopefully someone else can chime in if what you say is not right. Thank you.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom