Shelly 2.5 best wiring diagram for 2 on-off switches?

365nice

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello, I’m new to Shelly (but amazed at the possibilites) - I’m renovating my house in the uk and have asked an electrician to install a few in my house. However, electricians aren’t so familiar with these devices and so it throws up lots of questions… and I’m hoping for some tips/help here.

I gave the electrician a Shelly 2.5 - and he’s wired it into 3 patio lights that I want to control from 2 normal on/off switches, one in my house and the other in a home office in the garden. We haven’t got my Wi-Fi up and running yet, but it seemed that we could test in ”manual” operation.

He‘s done this but it doesn’t work properly - but I’m sure Shelly can easily handle this setup. At the moment, the switch with the Shelly will turn the lights on off fine, and if the lights are on, the other switch will turn the lights on off too. However, if the switch with the Shelly is turned off, then the other switch won’t turn then back on? This makes me think it’s a wiring issue - and I’m after some simple tips to help him diagnose this (and confirmation that it can work in this configuration).

i did wonder if there is a software setting that I have to adjust, but I wasn’t convinced there is.

Finally, as an additional question - I understood the 2.5 can control 2 circuits, and I was hoping that we could use the 2.5 to control some garden lights as well (i have a 2 gang switch above). The electrician was dubious as he said that garden lighting is on a separate ring, and felt it was not in regs to have a single device control both? Is this correct (if so, i could use the 2.5 for something else and get 2 shelly 1p’s)

Thanks,

Tim

Hello Tim

I am new to Shelley devices too - but looking up the Shelley 2.5 I see that it is a two channel Wi Fi controlled switch.

If I understand you correctly - you are wishing to have the load ( the three patio lights) controlled effectively from three positions: switch 1, switch 2, and thirdly via wifi.

If that is the case it cannot be done with this device because any two way switching control needs to be a 'switchover' device in order to put power onto an alternative (so-called) strap wire so that any other switches can function -
Additionally, in this case of three position switching, one of the other switches would need to be an intermediate switch - not just a two-way switch.

Theoretically if it were possible to configure the Shelley 2.5 to toggle one channnel on and the second channel off at the same time ( and vice versa) then it would be possible to configure it as a two-way switch

In the present arrangement , all the shelley is doing ( and can do) is removing power when switched off so it is impossible for the other switches to function.

Regarding your second question - I am not up to speed with the current regs but in any event it would be highly undesirable to have two separate circuits feeding into a single device.

Last edited:
Hello Tim

I am new to Shelley devices too - but looking up the Shelley 2.5 I see that it is a two channel Wi Fi controlled switch.

If I understand you correctly - you are wishing to have the load ( the three patio lights) controlled effectively from three positions: switch 1, switch 2, and thirdly via wifi.

If that is the case it cannot be done with this device because any two way switching control needs to be a 'switchover' device in order to put power onto an alternative (so-called) strap wire so that any other switches can function -
Additionally, in this case of three position switching, one of the other switches would need to be an intermediate switch - not just a two-way switch.

Theoretically if it were possible to configure the Shelley 2.5 to toggle one channnel on and the second channel off at the same time ( and vice versa) then it would be possible to configure it as a two-way switch

In the present arrangement , all the shelley is doing ( and can do) is removing power when switched off so it is impossible for the other switches to function.

Regarding your second question - I am not up to speed with the current regs but in any event it would be highly undesirable to have two separate circuits feeding into a single device.

That isnt correct

You can definitely have two way switching with the shelly 2.5 or (Shelly 1) and you dont require an intermediate switch even with 3 way switching .

See diagram below, this is for teh shelly 1 but tthe same principle applies for the Shelly 2.5

1651406536958.png

Finally, as an additional question - I understood the 2.5 can control 2 circuits, and I was hoping that we could use the 2.5 to control some garden lights as well (i have a 2 gang switch above). The electrician was dubious as he said that garden lighting is on a separate ring, and felt it was not in regs to have a single device control both? Is this correct (if so, i could use the 2.5 for something else and get 2 shelly 1p’s)

He is probably correct in that if they are on separate rings

Apologies for the misleading information.

I see these are more sophisticated switches than their initial description indicates.

That isnt correct

You can definitely have two way switching with the shelly 2.5 or (Shelly 1) and you dont require an intermediate switch even with 3 way switching .

See diagram below, this is for teh shelly 1 but tthe same principle applies for the Shelly 2.5

View attachment 1690718
Hey thanks - I think he’s just used the wrong wiring diagram, so will get him to re-check against this one. It’s good to get confirmation that it’s all possible (and no problem @Gavtech - you learned something too ).

Also, good confirmation on needing too Shellys if separate rings.

tim

@Seb Briggs on that diagram you shared for a shelly1 - what does the "I" pin translate to on a Shelly2.5?

L,N are straight conversions. SW is SW1 on the 2.5 (and we ignore SW2 for my purposes as there isn't another switch). O is O1 (and the specs say the SW1 controls O1 - so thats clear), but what is "I" - is is just the other L item on the 2.5?

The electrician is a but confused and I want to make sure he has the correct details.

Help appreciated.

Tim

I don’t have a 2.5 handy but I believe it to be another live (line) .

Btw what I do if not sure is set up a dummy rig on a work bench . Switch , light fitting and power supply via a “kettle lead” . Also useful for adding to App before installing in the ceiling

I don’t have a 2.5 handy but I believe it to be another live (line) .

Btw what I do if not sure is set up a dummy rig on a work bench . Switch , light fitting and power supply via a “kettle lead” . Also useful for adding to App before installing in the ceiling
There are 2 L terminals on the 2.5, so this is what I was expecting.
Probably should bite the bullet and have a little test bench - good point.
thanks for chipping in.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom