Shelly 1L working oddly.

johndickinson

Established Member
Reaction score
Installed a Shelly 1L behind the light switch, this controls a Hue smart light (79w). Can control the Shelly module via the physical switch, Alexa and the Shelly app. Have the switch set as the Edge option. All works either via the switch or alexa/app.

The odd part is the colour of the Hue light.

Click the switch, the light comes on with the selected colours, hit the switch again and it goes off, the next time you click the swith the light comes on just white, click again then off, click again and it's back to colour. The same result is achieved if using Alexa or the App or a combination of them all. It must be something in the Shelly settings but I cannot see anything that would cause this.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I dont think I would use a shelly module in combination with a Hue bulb but its likely to be the trickle charge that Shelly module needs so an off isnt a full off in combination with the Hue bulb which also doesnt do a full off as the electronics need to be always on.

I doubt there is an answer using that combination

Thanks for the input @Seb Briggs

I know Hue are doing an in wall swith module just cannot find any stock presently. I imagine I would get the same result if I were to use a smart switch, such as a broadlink.

The 1L I believe works both with and without a Neutral. As @Seb Briggs said if there's no neutral then there's still a trickle to power the unit. I wonder if you could get a Neutral connection if the Shelly might work better with a Hue. Just a thought.

The 1L I believe works both with and without a Neutral. As @Seb Briggs said if there's no neutral then there's still a trickle to power the unit. I wonder if you could get a Neutral connection if the Shelly might work better with a Hue. Just a thought.

I was assuming that a 1L was purchased as there was no Neutral but would be an interesting experiment. I think I have an old Hue bulb and hub so may try it out

In theory the behaviour should be exactly the same as of a normal switch was used with a Hue, then it's just a case of selecting the appropriate power on setting for the Hue.

Providing of course the neutral connection makes the Shelly work as a proper switch like I think it should.

In theory the behaviour should be exactly the same as of a normal switch was used with a Hue, then it's just a case of selecting the appropriate power on setting for the Hue.

Providing of course the neutral connection makes the Shelly work as a proper switch like I think it should.

If i dont have a hue i will try it with another make of smart bulb as should be the same

Hue will sit quite happily behind a (non dimming) Fibaro or Shelly with a Neutral as they both use a relay to add or remove power. They will not sit behind any form of dimming module as the way that they dim, creates havoc with the Hue bulbs

Hue will sit quite happily behind a (non dimming) Fibaro or Shelly with a Neutral as they both use a relay to add or remove power. They will not sit behind any form of dimming module as the way that they dim, creates havoc with the Hue bulbs
Thanks, will take a look at the Fibaro options.

John, you need to set the Shelly into detached mode and use something like Home Assistant or SmartThings. Detached mode keeps the bulb permanently live (which hue needs), and you use the switch as an input for a controller to turn the bulb on and off (similar to the Hue controller). As a workaround you could change the Hue power on behaviour in the app. I use detached mode in a few rooms and it works well.

Sorry know what you mean now

you possibly could then use the url command in Shelly to turn on the Hue .

Sorry know what you mean now

you possibly could then use the url command in Shelly to turn on the Hue .
I don’t use the Hue hub with my Hue Bulbs, but I’m sure there would be something that could be done hopefully locally. Any IFTTT or cloud is going to really increase the latency.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom