Shelly 1L and smart bulbs with a retractive switch problem

TheNeilJ

Novice Member
Hi all,

I'm having a bit of a problem with my smart lighting solution I've installed in my house. Any suggestions would be welcome.

I currently have 2 rooms set up identically, they have got 4 colour changing smart bulbs in the light fitting (1 Shelly WiFi and 3 Zigbee, the reason behind this will become evident shortly) a Shelly 1L behind a retractive switch and Shelly bypass installed as I do not have a neutral wire in any of the swiches in my house.
The 1L is set up in detached mode to enable the relay to stay permanently on to provide power to the smart bulbs while monitoring the switch position so that when the switch is depressed it will toggle the state of the Shelly bulb as set up in the Shelly app, when the bulb changes state it is noticed in SmartThings and that will then command the Zigbee lights to toggle.
I have this setup as I do use the colour changing and dimming features of the smart bulbs but keep the light switches looking and working like standard switches so that it doesn't confuse my elderly parents or guests when they visit. I prefer Zigbee over WiFi as I'm trying to limit the amount of WiFi connected devices on my router.

The problems I am having since I installed the second room is that after a random amount of time one of the Shelly 1L's will open the relay causing the power to be lost to the smart bulbs in that room and the switch will not function until I command the relay on in the Shelly app. It doesn't matter if the lights are on or off, it can happen at any time, it could be 1min after toggling the relay on or over 24hrs.
The problem will occur over and over on the same device until the power is removed to the lighting circuits in the house (the 2 rooms are on separate circuits). When power is restored the problem could switch to the other device or stay on the same one completely at random.
When interrogating the 1L that is randomly opening the relay after it has opened it reports that the command to open the relay was from the retractive switch which it cannot do with the 1L set in detached mode as the switch doesn't command the relay.

I have been through Shelly support with this issue and have got nowhere, they are blaming my retractive switches being defective, however as the problem changes between devices after power is cycled I don't believe this to be the case.

So what I'm hoping someone here will be able to help with is either a fix for the issues I am having or know of another device that I can install behind the light switches without a neutral that will be able to monitor the use of the retractive switch and then command the lights on or off via SmartThings or Google Home - ideally I'd like a Zigbee device over WiFi. I'm not totally against the idea of smart switches but I would like them to look as standard as possible. The sort of thing I think I need is probably very much like the Philips Hue wall switch module but without the extortionate price tag and ideally wired in so that the switches don't have to be removed every 6 months to change batteries.

I hope that is all as clear as mud and I haven't missed anything. Any further info that you need, feel free to ask away.

This is my first post on here so be gentle with me.

Many Thanks.

Neil.

Seb Briggs

Distinguished Member
Somethings to try

Are you sure they have different IP addresses ?
Check Shelly app hasn’t got any io/url actions for the relays

TheNeilJ

Novice Member
Thanks for the reply.

Just checked both of those suggestions and both devices have separate IP's and neither of them have any io/url actions associated with them.

Many thanks

Neil

Seb Briggs

Distinguished Member
Not a fan of a mix of smart relays and smart bulbs but that doesn’t really explain your issue .

Btw why are you using Retractive switches

TheNeilJ

Novice Member
I can understand why issues may arise as it's usually just one or the other not both together, ideally all I need is to hardwire the light fitting to be permanently powered with something that will monitor the switch to decide whether to turn the bulbs on or off but can't seem to find anything.

Yes I'm using retractive switches, I've tried wiring them in both ways - push to make and push to break as they are 2-way switches.

Seb Briggs

Distinguished Member
Then I think it’s an IP issue or similar issue .

Temporarily take them out of detached mode and see what happens

TheNeilJ

Novice Member
I'll try that and report back tomorrow evening as I mentioned the opening of the relay happens at random times

TheNeilJ

Novice Member
I've just had both 1L's have a firmware update so I may leave them in detached mode tonight to see if it's had any effect, if not I'll take them out of detached mode in the morning.

TheNeilJ

Novice Member
I didn't think it would help either but thought I'd give it a try and it lasted about 45min before opening the relay again so placed both buttons on both 1L's settings into Momentary mode last night and when I got up this morning the relay has opened on one of them.

TheNeilJ

Novice Member
That thought had crossed my mind as well, but find it strange how it only affects one at a time. Last night I had to cycle power to the upstairs lights on the breaker which is the 1L I was having issues with opening the breaker and now the problem has switched to the 1L on the downstairs light circuit.

TheNeilJ

Novice Member
Strangely enough I can't remember doing that, I may have done it but this has been going on for months and I've tried so many different things this may of passed me by.
I've disconnected the switches now and see what happens.

TheNeilJ

Novice Member
Interestingly this seems to have solved the problem as they have gone 54hrs now without opening a relay, I think I have had longer once with the switches connected but its unusual for them to last more than 36hrs.

The question is now is to why connecting a switch to a 1L will make it open the relay when set in detached mode and how to solve it.

TheNeilJ

Novice Member
I will dig the old switches out and refit them tomorrow and see how it goes.

Many thanks for your help and time so far.

TheNeilJ

Novice Member
So installed the old normal switches this morning, put the 1L's into detached mode and I have one randomly opening the relay again.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Piega launches Ace Wireless speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
M&K Sound launches V+ Series subwoofers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon launches DHT-S517 Dolby Atmos soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett