Shelly 1 PM Plus ‘over voltage detected’

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently I had a new electric towel rail fitted to a bathroom by an electrician. I got him to install a Shelly 1PM Plus at the same time. The Shelly is basically acting a smart isolating switch.

I don’t really use the Shelly much, it’s usually left on, and the heater is manually controlled using its own simple on/off/2hr boost panel. However I wanted the Shelly for the occasional times when wanted a timer or remote control, so that I could control it on cold winter mornings when I get up at 5am.

Anyway it’s been fine for the last few months. But it’s just suddenly started giving a ‘over voltage warning’ notification. The heater inst in use, hadn’t been used for weeks, so isn’t drawing any power.

What could be issue be? Is it faulty? Anything I can check in the app? Do I need to get the electrician in urgently?

Thanks.

Is the firmware up to date on the Shelly module ?

Over voltage normally means that the power to the module (230v) is going over that . The tolerance is listed as 10% so possibly you are getting a spike. This could occur regardless of the towel rail being on or not as it a "constant" 230v feed to the module.

Hi Seb, yeah it’s the latest version. After a reboot it seems ok so I’m hoping it’s just a glitch.

Turned out it was a bug the firmware giving false reading. Shelly have released a firmware update for it now which fixes the issue.

Mains voltage in the UK can go up to 253V and still be within spec.

Mine is often around 248V depending on time of day…

Well I have the same problem. With the newest firmware. After 1 month all my Shelly 1pm after another give me the over voltage protection warning. When I read the voltage they jump from 210 to 280 every second. After a restart it works fine again for a month. Is there any fix? Or a potential script for a reboot every week?

Well I have the same problem. With the newest firmware. After 1 month all my Shelly 1pm after another give me the over voltage protection warning. When I read the voltage they jump from 210 to 280 every second. After a restart it works fine again for a month. Is there any fix? Or a potential script for a reboot every week?

I got a random one the other day, but other than that I’ve not have any issues a one the update I mentioned above.

I just recently had the same problem, using firmware version 0.12.0-beta3. Rebooting the device helped. Also I updated to 0.12.0 now, which hopefully solves the issue long-term. Otherwise, what would probably help, is to write a small Shelly script that automatically restarts the switch if it recognizes voltage to be too high for a certain amount of time.

Happened to me today also, went on for 24h before I noticed. Kept turn off my device.
On version 0.12 too. Rebooting helped.

Happened to me today also, went on for 24h before I noticed. Kept turn off my device.
On version 0.12 too. Rebooting helped.

I had this very same thing both last year with a Shelly 1pm around Jun/22 (where I initially read this post) and I noted there was a firmware update which I applied and it fixed it.

Today I've seen exactly the same thing - and it seems that there is another software update that I have applied (but it took several attempts to get it to update) and it seems that its now stopped.

Given this Shelly was one I bought on sale as an experiment which I never used, I have simply wired it up to a porch light - with 2 led bulbs - so I would be suprised if there is any over-voltage activity? When its running normally it shows 70w (which is a reminder that I should buy some new LED bulbs) so I'd be suprised by an over-voltage situation on what is new wiring that was checked a year ago.

As its always the 1pm that gets this - is there something wrong with these devices? I don't see it on any of my Dimmer 2's or my 2.5's.

Tim

I asked Shelly about this - they replied:

Thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with your Shelly Plus 1PM. Overvoltage would have nothing to do with the load attached, but rather your electricity supply. You could get this error even with no load attached at all. If your supply voltage goes above 280V you will get this error.

However, there were some calculation errors in earlier firmware versions, but this was fixed in 0.10.3. If you are on this version a newer version, then the warnings are most likely correct.

---
I am suspicious that my supply would exceed 280v as its a newish consumer unit with new wiring. I also wonder if its only the 1PM that reports this error, as none of my other shelly's have complained.

I guess we will have to monitor it - I suspect they didn't properly fix the bug. I'm on 0.14.1 now (strangely there seemed to be a new update today since I wrote this - hence the .1 I think)

Another interesting point on this - they say the Shelly Smart Control app will show current voltage (I can't see this in the app), however if you connect via the devices ip address - the home page does show current voltage (mine seems to vary between 223 and 226v) so it will be interesting to see what this is the next time I get this error (although if they have had bugs in this area - who knows if the reading is correct or if its the notification code that gets in a twist , or if it genuinely is a fault in my electrical supplier/consumer unit ).

Also of note - as I coulnd't find this - the list of firmware versions and dates for the 1pm is here: Changelog | Shelly Technical Documentation

(you can see they made a change in 0.10.3 for this error, and there have been some other changes recently - the last one about auto-recovery from this error, which sounds like a bit of a hack)

I had initially written this one off as "oh well, its a bug" - however when I looked a bit more carefully I now realise that when this recently happened my porch light actually was spontaneously turning itself on and off very rapidly without me initiating this (a total of 8 times in the space of 5 minutes, actually).

While in my case, its just a porch light - I would be a bit concerned that this might happen with something else more delicate - so others getting this error might want to take note.

It does look like that 0.10.3 fix is trying to solve something in this area - so I sure hope it does. I am wondering if I might replace this switch with a Shelly 1 - I only used a 1PM as I had bought one on sale for an experiment (which I never did, so had it lying around).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom