Shell broadband constantly disconnecting from internet

Brodel

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm hoping someone might be able to help. Our landlord pays for our internet and recently switched from Vodafone to Shell Broadband (ADSL). Ever since switching, the internet constantly cuts off throughout the day (about 6-7 times).
  • It isn't time specific and WiFi connection to the LAN is fine.
  • I have used WiFi Analyzer on my phone to make sure we're using a channel that isn't crowded.
  • Sometimes it reconnects, other times you have to reset it.
  • The router is a Technicolor DGA0122, firmware version 19.4.0477-4381030-20210525145957.
I can't phone Shell directly to complain as the contract is all in my landlords name. The weird thing is, before Vodafone we had Shell internet and it was fine.

Does anyone else have issues with Shell, or any suggestions of what else to try?

I am tempted to buy my own router but I'm reluctant to if it's unlikely to solve the problem.

Thank you.

I should add it’s not conclusive but if you can set up a continual ping from a internal Ethernet connected pc to a internal gateway address & a external address it can help point to the line or aio box being the issue

I am with same broadband Fibre Plus and I have an occasional drop offs unusual as got same line and equipment for 9 Years now and never had any issues before. Really this issue started since Shell took over the what it was Post Office broadband which runs on Talk-Talk bandwidth.
Waiting for my terms to expire next month to move on from Shell. Been long time Sky Fibre Broadband customers and always been happy with their services but they have become so expencive almost untouchable.

My parents were with Post Office BB which became Shell, like yours they were having constant disconnects and issues every day, in the end I got them moved over to VM and never looked back

I would get your landlord to switch providers

Interesting, thanks. I wasn't aware of this service.

Screenshot from 2023-01-08 17-39-53.png

I've run it for a couple of days now. Ironically, haven't experienced any drop outs since posting. My IP address was changed around 5am so no record for today.

I have noticed my phone dropping from the WiFi to 4g for a few seconds and then back again, but the WiFi signal isn't too bad.

Those smaller and one large red peak at just after 8pm are signs of an issue where ThinkBroadband can't connect to your router. That does indeed suggest the problem is either the router itself or something upstream from you at the ISP level. Short of trying a replacement or your own router, there is not much else you can do without Shell looking into it.

Those smaller and one large red peak at just after 8pm are signs of an issue where ThinkBroadband can't connect to your router. That does indeed suggest the problem is either the router itself or something upstream from you at the ISP level. Short of trying a replacement or your own router, there is not much else you can do without Shell looking into it.

Thanks. The internet stopped working completely at lunch time. Waited for about 10mins and then had to reset it so have been given another new IP. I'll take a look at some routers and see if my landlord will contact Shell to get the details needed to connect.

Screenshot from 2023-01-09 15-08-45.png

Last edited:
I am surprised you keep getting a new IP address. ISPs can work differently, but just restarting your router shouldn't allocate a new IP...

I am surprised you keep getting a new IP address. ISPs can work differently, but just restarting your router shouldn't allocate a new IP...
I wasn't expecting it to either and I don't think it usually does. I've set up another thinkbroadband monitor for the new IP so will keep an eye on it.

It's just done it again and issued another new IP after restarting the router. o_O
Screenshot from 2023-01-09 20-10-07.png

Last edited:
Stopped working and needed a reset today. Another new IP.

Anyone know why it might be doing that? Presumably a new router wouldn't make any difference with that particular issue?

Same thing happened on Saturday and another new IP.

Any insight into whether this is normal for Shell or indicitive of another issue would be great if anyone else has experienced the same.

Sorry I am not a Shell BB customer, so not sure.

It doesn't feel normal but it all depends on how they have configured DHCP, which is responsible for allocating the IP addresses. Traditionally in a LAN if something is permanently connected then you would renew the same address each time.

However, in your case, it seems every time it asks for an IP address on reboot it gets a new one, which does seem a bit strange but who knows?

It’s a moot point surely?

You now have evidence of the line disconnecting multiple times, each time requires a isp hub reboot & and a new wan ip is allocated on reboot.

It’s clear the lines unstable, I suggest it’s time for you to press the landlord to either escalate to the isp or move isp.

Thanks, will give the landlord a nudge to see if there is anything he can do.

Hi,

I'm hoping someone might be able to help. Our landlord pays for our internet and recently switched from Vodafone to Shell Broadband (ADSL). Ever since switching, the internet constantly cuts off throughout the day (about 6-7 times).
  • It isn't time specific and WiFi connection to the LAN is fine.
  • I have used WiFi Analyzer on my phone to make sure we're using a channel that isn't crowded.
  • Sometimes it reconnects, other times you have to reset it.
  • The router is a Technicolor DGA0122, firmware version 19.4.0477-4381030-20210525145957.
I can't phone Shell directly to complain as the contract is all in my landlords name. The weird thing is, before Vodafone we had Shell internet and it was fine.

Does anyone else have issues with Shell, or any suggestions of what else to try?

I am tempted to buy my own router but I'm reluctant to if it's unlikely to solve the problem.

Thank you.

I am using a Shell "Fast Broadband" connection, formerly PostOffice, and I see the exact same issue - loss of connection which sometimes resets and other times needs a reboot - very frustrating!

Shell customer service goes from Ok>average>downright rude depending on who you get, when you eventually get through, which can take 30mins+.

First thing they always suggest is that they will get an Engineer sent around, (following the 'playbook'.)

We've had the same engineer round twice, first he found a bit of a dodgy connection to the main incoming cable, he fixed this and left happy after monitoring the line. (we didn't get charged)

Same problem

Complain to shell again, same answer, send engineer round.

Same guy shows up, runs an new incoming cable from the pole outside and again leaves happy that the signal form the incoming pole is good and recommends new router if problem persists - still same problem !!

Connection always resets fine on reboot so could indicate a router problem > call Shell again and after quite some persuasion for them to actually check the previous actions they find the recommendation for a new router.

New router sent out - received the Technicolor DGA0122, which is technically vastly superior to the 'toytown' one the Post Office supplied. I was hopeful that the new router would help but sadly the same problem persists, frequent disconnections!!

It seems this router also drops some (older?) wifi connections whilst maintaining internet for Ethernet connections!

Thankfully, I'm only living here temporarily, it's my mums house, and I should be back to my own VM130Mb solid connection very soon!

The connection here is 9Mbd/1Mbup, Shell couldn't offer any better options, so I think the infrastructure in the street/cabinet is a bit rubbish, often see several BT/Openreach vans gathered around the pit at the bottom of the hill!

I would try another supplier but my mum only uses the phone, not the internet, and the all-inclusive-phone deal is ideal for her as she's elderly and frail and uses it a lot/relies on it.

(very frustratingly Gigabit-fibre appeared in the street at a great price during the time that I have been living here - I would have happily have paid for that over the Shell connection but it doesn't give my mum the great deal on phone calls!!)

Sorry I can't offer any constructive help, it does seem to point to something at Shell's end.........

I have started monitoring with the link provided to Thinkbroadband.com

neil

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom