1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shelf life of a DVD player ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Cack3r, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Cack3r

Cack3r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a Pioneer DV-303 all-in-one (DVD-Player, Decoder, amp etc). I have just in the past couple of months experienced more and more problems reading media, whether its my own burnt CD, DVD or even my bought DVDs/CDs.

It was intermittent, whereas now it is basically failed to read bought DVDs. It actually threw a wobbley right at the layer change over point during a film and just stopped. Couldnt restart the DVD.

Sometimes it switches itself off and flashes the timer icon, which translated by the pioneer manual is something serious is wrong. One of the symptoms it seems is overheating. It's on its' own shelf, with room to cool down, but the base of the unit is hot.

I tested it in the morning, when cold, but it still didnt fire up the DVD straight away, ie still had a few problems.

So, my question is, i've had this Pioneer for coming up to two years now. I had a friend who was a smoker and had a pokey little room and his CD player stopped reading disks, but it turned out that the guys who serviced it said that there was a thin brown film on the laser diode, no doubtably, nicotine. Anyway after a clean it was okay.

Could this be the issue ? two years worth of fine dust building up on the pickup diode ? Don't these system have self cleaning systems ? Should I try one of those cleaning discs ?

Or do electronics these days have a shelf life of around 2 years ?