Sheevaplug Sees a 3TB disk as 800GB Problem

madmike1234

Standard Member
I have a good, reliable media serving solution using a Sheevaplug running CIFS/SMB and an external 1TB but 1TB was no longer large enough so I bought a 3TB replacement. However, my Sheevaplug only ses it as an 800GB disk. Now I know about the limitations of MBR where the maximum partition size is 2.2TB and so the modulus of 2.2TB is the reported size (i.e. 800GB), but installing a GPT-compliant Debian image (Squeeze) provided by NEWIT for this job doesn't help and parted and/or gdisk both insist that the disk is 800GB in size.

The problem is not the disk (as far as I can tell) as I can quite happily format and use it under Windows 7 and OSX with the full 3TB and I believe that the Sheevaplug can support larger disks as I have found a few references to people that have done this when using a GPT-compliant image and parted/gdisk.

This is one of the few times when the internet/fora have not readily provided me with an answer and I am struggling to find out what it is that is configured.

If I partition the disk under Windows 7 using GPT then when I transfer the disk back to the Sheevaplug it complains that the partition table is corrupt because it is pointing to areas outside the area of the disk (i.e. >800GB).

Can anyone please help?

Thanks.

amcluesent

Distinguished Member
Might be the BIOS needs updated?

madmike1234

Standard Member
If anyone is interested, the answer was to upgrade to Wheezy. Despite what I had read and been told, previous versions of Sheevaplug Debian and Ubuntu did not have large disk support (but did support GPT).

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom