Shed of Infinite Darkness

The 12v trigger from my Denon 4400 is on all the time, as it opens a relay allowing 240v to my inline fans.
control input on a relay is a high impedance input, perfect for the trigger functionality

The 12v trigger form the PJ ?

Oooh That's an interesting idea. You'd probably have to check the ampage the fans need and if it works. You may be limited to one fan, but it would be a beautifully simple solution as they would turn on and off with the PJ!

USB stuff tends to be 5V and i'm not sure a projector switches these, as in they're always on - You'd need 5V fans not 12V though and that may limit choice etc.

JVC trigger out is 12V DC and 100mA. Could drive a couple of Noctua fans wired in parallel in theory as only 0.025A each but not really designed for this.

Better used connected to a trigger relay switch or alternatively downrate the fans by running them at 5V from the USB service connector (presume 500mA).

JVC trigger out is 12V DC and 100mA. Could drive a couple of Noctua fans wired in parallel in theory as only 0.025A each but not really designed for this.

Better used connected to a trigger relay switch or alternatively downrate the fans by running them at 5V from the USB service connector (presume 500mA).
Agreed. Not sure I'd trust running the cheap fet they use as a driver at half it's rated current for any extended length of time . It might be capable of 100ma peak but sustained? Relay a better option.
If you want to use USB, honestly hooking the 5v from the USB to the boost regulator I linked to above is very easy, just need to use a multimeter and adjust the pot until you get 12v out . Use several of them on my 3d printer to run 12v fans

Could you use something like this 12v power supply connected to the fan molex connector?

Amazon product ASIN B07W3GXZN1
Yup, similar to what I linked to above, you need to turn it on/off though so one of those multi socket adapters where one of the sockets turns on/off the other when used would work

@Triggaaar does this help?

Notice the fan fitted? Although after testing last night I don’t think it’s needed at all.

F3D7F103-AB5A-4199-B264-29C33B027917.jpeg
73BF84BA-ABD0-4753-BC1B-6A19A4181083.jpeg

@Triggaaar does this help?
Yes, thank you :thumbsup: Simple and effective.

Notice the fan fitted? Although after testing last night I don’t think it’s needed at all.
Well I like the way the foam on the front is in the direction the air wants to go, which may make the air move more easily. It's not on the top and bottom, but it's obviously working well enough.

I've got my room air extraction going from the projector, so hopefully that'll work (when I eventually build it, which will probably be when summer arrives).

Is there no limit to your ingenuity Mark👍

I hope you’ve made it big enough for the NZ9 to fit in and be adequately cooled and silenced ready for the next bout of upgraditis 🤣

My Z1 came with these clip on diverters, made quite a difference.
Do they do something similar for the NX9?

Attachments

• 3AC9EEF1-A71A-4F25-A273-0B233AF1A73E.jpeg
    3AC9EEF1-A71A-4F25-A273-0B233AF1A73E.jpeg
    336.6 KB · Views: 96
  • 005F26B1-8960-4E87-A76F-5EB8580D200B.jpeg
    005F26B1-8960-4E87-A76F-5EB8580D200B.jpeg
    352.7 KB · Views: 97
My Z1 came with these clip on diverters, made quite a difference.
Do they do something similar for the NX9?
This is very similar to what I’ve done, I’ve just added some steroids to the mix 😂

Is there no limit to your ingenuity Mark👍

I hope you’ve made it big enough for the NZ9 to fit in and be adequately cooled and silenced ready for the next bout of upgraditis 🤣
Same lens 😉

Oo that's good to see, they're basically saying that what we (well, Mark so far) are doing is sensible
Yes, in the case of these plastic ones it just changes the direction of the exhaust, reducing the noise heard.

@The Dreamer came over yesterday to pick up his new baby, my old Sony 760. Gave him a fair few demo scenes and whilst watching them I was wondering if I’d made the right decision 🧐, but glad it’s going to a very good home and somewhere that the room will do it justice!!

JVC now fully installed, still waiting for some velvet flock to arrive courtesy of @Harkon321 (thanks Matt!), to finish off the hush box, but other than that they’re now fully finished with a couple of noctua fans only on one side of the unit (the other side doesn’t get warm). I also installed a fan towards the back of the projector to supply a constant flow of cooler air, all switching on with a Philips hue smart plug with my harmony activities. (Notable mention to @Apollo for supply a controller and power supply).

Tested last night, works perfectly, projector is now whisper quiet on low lamp and Sony 80% laser levels of quiet on high lamp. Still undecided if I need high lamp at all though, especially once I get Gordon over to calibrate correctly, gut feeling is probably not, but will likely have a calibration done for both lamp modes to give me the option.

After testing yesterday, I kept an eye on temperature. The area directly next to the projector fans was showing a reading of 28.2 degrees (my room was 25), towards the back of the box where the air is escaping was reading 40.5. Proof clearly that the projector is in no danger of over heating, in fact, it’s probably running cooler now than it would do if I didn’t add this box in.

These boxes retail at £500, contact me if you want one. (Mods, I’m joking!) 😜 Draper charge $12000 for their hush boxes 😬😳

@Topmetom 2 Not sure who's worse, @mb3195 for producing the video ( talk about niche ) or us for watching... I'm guessing the latter !
Yeah I’d thought I’d taken a photo of it, but turns out it was a video. Suppose I could have screen shot the video and posted as a picture.

Certainly not the most exciting watch 😆

Question is, has @The Dreamer now budgeting for a trinnov?

Not yet. :D The major difference I heard was that Mark's Top Front Atmos were quite a bit more noticeable than mine.

I know the positioning of mine are compromised somewhat, in that they are set too far into the recess in the ceiling, and they are pointing straight down, rather than being angled towards MLP, or the seating in general. Indeed Audyssey has, on occasion, told me there's a problem with the Top Fronts when calibrating - the microphone simply isn't getting a line of sight to them, and the Volts apparently are a little limited off-axis.

The original plan was to have them angled by mounting them on a sloped bracket - but in the end I CBA'd to build them and just screwed straight through the back of the speaker cabinet into the ceiling. I think I'm going to revisit that decision. Same goes for my rear Atmos!

Sound aside, the major things I noticed in Mark's room vs mine, was firstly the all-encompassing blackness. And having got the Sony up and running last night, I can see why - in comparison to my Epson, this thing's a light cannon!

Admittedly, I've always run the Epson in 'Eco', low lamp, mode, and I've yet to do a side by side comparison (just waiting on an HDMI extension lead so I can go back and forth from one to the other - I'm not getting rid of the Sony - I just want to do this so I can write up a fair comparison)!

But the brightness of the Sony's image means that the reflection from the screen lights up a lot more of the room than the Epson ever did. I already have some black Camira fabric on order, so the first two panels closest to the screen on either side will be changed. And I also have some self adhesive velvet flock arriving tomorrow to cover the first bit of my 'dropped' ceiling. Without it, the lighting up of the front portion of the room is a little distracting. I totally get why Mark has gone 'all black'!

And then there was the Quake attached to the seats. It certainly adds something, but not sure if it's for me. It's been incorporated really well, and Mark said he had gone to a lot of trouble getting the timing and cut-off just right - certainly watching the demo clip of Fury was great fun. I'm going to have to watch that again on my system to see what I'm missing - but I think my twin 18's move enough air themselves to make the room shake, and I've yet to build and install the subs for the rear of the room (still on the to-do list). But it's nice to know that even after I've filled the room with subs, there are still things to play with.

My next major project is to play with JRiver, and see what I can do with that and MADVR (or possibly JRivers own video processing, which is being actively developed).

I can see Mark struggling to find 'upgrades' for his room going forward - it's about as 'reference' as it could be. Maybe the NZ9? But honestly, having spent an hour or so in there, I'm struggling to see how it could be improved (and we were watching the Sony)!

If he wants something to do, moving forwards, I'd suggest extending the 'Shed' and sticking another row of seating in there! Then he'd have an excuse for a Trinnov 32 and more speakers! He knows where to find me, if he ever lets go of his current processor! :D

Not yet. :D The major difference I heard was that Mark's Top Front Atmos were quite a bit more noticeable than mine.

I know the positioning of mine are compromised somewhat, in that they are set too far into the recess in the ceiling, and they are pointing straight down, rather than being angled towards MLP, or the seating in general. Indeed Audyssey has, on occasion, told me there's a problem with the Top Fronts when calibrating - the microphone simply isn't getting a line of sight to them, and the Volts apparently are a little limited off-axis.

The original plan was to have them angled by mounting them on a sloped bracket - but in the end I CBA'd to build them and just screwed straight through the back of the speaker cabinet into the ceiling. I think I'm going to revisit that decision. Same goes for my rear Atmos!

Sound aside, the major things I noticed in Mark's room vs mine, was firstly the all-encompassing blackness. And having got the Sony up and running last night, I can see why - in comparison to my Epson, this thing's a light cannon!

Admittedly, I've always run the Epson in 'Eco', low lamp, mode, and I've yet to do a side by side comparison (just waiting on an HDMI extension lead so I can go back and forth from one to the other - I'm not getting rid of the Sony - I just want to do this so I can write up a fair comparison)!

But the brightness of the Sony's image means that the reflection from the screen lights up a lot more of the room than the Epson ever did. I already have some black Camira fabric on order, so the first two panels closest to the screen on either side will be changed. And I also have some self adhesive velvet flock arriving tomorrow to cover the first bit of my 'dropped' ceiling. Without it, the lighting up of the front portion of the room is a little distracting. I totally get why Mark has gone 'all black'!

And then there was the Quake attached to the seats. It certainly adds something, but not sure if it's for me. It's been incorporated really well, and Mark said he had gone to a lot of trouble getting the timing and cut-off just right - certainly watching the demo clip of Fury was great fun. I'm going to have to watch that again on my system to see what I'm missing - but I think my twin 18's move enough air themselves to make the room shake, and I've yet to build and install the subs for the rear of the room (still on the to-do list). But it's nice to know that even after I've filled the room with subs, there are still things to play with.

My next major project is to play with JRiver, and see what I can do with that and MADVR (or possibly JRivers own video processing, which is being actively developed).

I can see Mark struggling to find 'upgrades' for his room going forward - it's about as 'reference' as it could be. Maybe the NZ9? But honestly, having spent an hour or so in there, I'm struggling to see how it could be improved (and we were watching the Sony)!

If he wants something to do, moving forwards, I'd suggest extending the 'Shed' and sticking another row of seating in there! Then he'd have an excuse for a Trinnov 32 and more speakers! He knows where to find me, if he ever lets go of his current processor! :D

Which atmos speakers do you use mate?

Could it just be the Arendals massive soundstage that they're known for?

Mine feel huge whenever they're active and having sat in a few different seats, always seem to be very involved when they're engaged.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom