Shed of Infinite Darkness

In real use I’m getting 142 hdr nits calibrated with Filter on a 123in wide screen with -2 iris on high. (1.3 gain Stewart screen)
i guess the really amazing thing about that is you know you're going to get that figure for a very long time too.

This will do for the time being, pretty much silent from my seating position now on low lamp, will do something a bit more semi permanent over the weekend which should be more effective still.

The more I watch, the less I think I’m going to need high lamp, now I’ve sorted the lumagen settings, in my room at least, the brightness feels just right, such a beautiful image!!

1B994193-E838-42B3-A78B-BC155FDEEDCD.jpeg

Yes

Needs to be wrapped in velvet and a bit of an eyesore, but this has worked an absolute treat!! High lamp in now quieter than low lamp before this modification, I’d actually say high lamp is now around the same as I had my Sony on 80%.

Really pleased now!

Have a listen, this taken from exactly the same place as my other recordings.

EADBDEDB-9BE7-4E34-943C-ADD5231504D3.jpeg

Needs to be wrapped in velvet and a bit of an eyesore, but this has worked an absolute treat!! High lamp in now quieter than low lamp before this modification
All that worrying and you've fixed it in a couple of hours :laugh:

PS - please post design plans :D

no worries about heat build up with the front closed in?

I’d be really keen to understand that design too. Do you have fans built into hush box to keep air moving through?

All that worrying and you've fixed it in a couple of hours :laugh:

PS - please post design plans :D
Design plans? This is me we’re talking about!! All done on the fly 😂😂
no worries about heat build up with the front closed in?
Not at the moment, the design allows the air to move freely within the box, exhausting to the sides and rears.
I’d be really keen to understand that design too. Do you have fans built into hush box to keep air moving through?
Again, not at the moment, I don’t think it needs fans as I can feel the warm air being pushed out of the sides if I put my hand against the “exit”. I need to run a longer test, I only used it for 25 minutes or so, but the fans didn’t ramp up any higher and the projector felt pretty cool to touch afterwards.

Guessing you are sealing as good as possible then diverting the air around to a rear exit then lining the box with sound proofing ?

Guessing you are sealing as good as possible then diverting the air around to a rear exit then lining the box with sound proofing ?
Exactly this mate. Difference is HUGE and only has a small amount of absorption in the box at the moment. Will add more tonight (when I get some more) and need to make a couple of minor adjustments over the weekend for a more finished article.

Hoping it won’t need any extra help for the hot air to exhaust, but if it does I’ll install a couple of noctua fans in it to help full the air away from the box.

This might help to explain to others.

Last edited:
Design plans? This is me we’re talking about!! All done on the fly 😂😂
:laugh: Well I guess I'm asking, what is the layout of what you ended up building. We can see the front - is there a flat top and bottom, or is there no top? and what about the back? And also, what insulation or foam did you put inside.

The front looks roughly how I imagine I'll build mine.

:laugh: Well I guess I'm asking, what is the layout of what you ended up building. We can see the front - is there a flat top and bottom, or is there no top? and what about the back? And also, what insulation or foam did you put inside.

The front looks roughly how I imagine I'll build mine.
I’d be really interested too!

I was thinking of trying to build a complex ducted vent system with fans to exhaust the air away from the front of my projector and send it down my bulkheads before exhausting it to the room. If your testing shows it is quiet enough with it exhausting at the front/sides then that would be a game changer for me and I might actually get up the energy to tackle the problem/project.

Another thing you could try is 30 cell air filter foam at the exit if its wide 10mm thick should be fine and not restrictive if over a large area can be quite good for reducing noise as well if needed (Youll bye pumping less air than a car at 6,000 rpm !)

@mb3195 if you did feel you needed some more forced air to ensure the bulb / projector is kept cooler, I would recommend using a Noctua NF-A12x25. Based on my experience in amps with this manufacturer of fans, they run almost silent ( or at least quieter that your projector ) and would help keep what is a very expensive bit of kit cooler. With a little bit of work you could add a logic board and thermostat to get it to kickin at a certain temp. However, simple is usually best, so. would have it on all the time.

@mb3195 if you did feel you needed some more forced air to ensure the bulb / projector is kept cooler, I would recommend using a Noctua NF-A12x25. Based on my experience in amps with this manufacturer of fans, they run almost silent ( or at least quieter that your projector ) and would help keep what is a very expensive bit of kit cooler. With a little bit of work you could add a logic board and thermostat to get it to kickin at a certain temp. However, simple is usually best, so. would have it on all the time.
Yeah I’ve been thinking about one of these fans.

Any suggestions on the easiest way to wire up to a 240v mains supply being a 12v fan?

Yeah I’ve been thinking about one of these fans.

Any suggestions on the easiest way to wire up to a 240v mains supply being a 12v fan?

The 12v trigger form the PJ ?

The 12v trigger form the PJ ?
That would be very simple, electrics and electronics aren’t my strongest point……

So, 12v trigger cable, the other end cut off spliced into a positive and negative, wired directly into a fan.

Could they be daisy chained?

Could you wire it to a USB plugged in to a Smart Socket, so it's on a routine.

Does the 12v trigger send a constant 12v or just a signal and then stop?

Could you wire it to a USB plugged in to a Smart Socket, so it's on a routine.

Does the 12v trigger send a constant 12v or just a signal and then stop?
No idea, an older post on avs states it supplies a constant signal until the projector switches off.

No idea, an older post on avs states it supplies a constant signal until the projector switches off.
To be honest, I don't know the answer and I'm currently sitting with pieces of paper planning my room build which isn't easy when the baby is seeking attention. I'd suggest emailing the manufacturer. I did with a query I had and they came back the following day with a solution for me !!

That would be very simple, electrics and electronics aren’t my strongest point……

So, 12v trigger cable, the other end cut off spliced into a positive and negative, wired directly into a fan.

Could they be daisy chained?

I never got round to trying but assuming I think the 12v is either on or off, so worth investigating, yes regarding wiring

i'm not sure i'd be happy to run anything from the 12V trigger. it's a line level output, bascially just meant to alert something down the line that it has been turned on, it's meant to go into a high impedance input , which means it has little or no ability to drive current.

now the fan will draw very little current, so it should in theory work, but on an expensive projector i'm not sure i would be even thinking of risking it. i think i'd get a small 12V Dc supply and use it, or a 5V USB supply with one of these
Amazon product ASIN B077VW4BTY
input side @5V, output side @12.

edit, sorry, thats a buck converter, let me find a boost

and with regards daisy chaining, you're drawing even more current from an output that wasn't meant to drive current

The 12v trigger from my Denon 4400 is on all the time, as it opens a relay allowing 240v to my inline fans.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom