Shed of Darkness 9.4.6

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Off-axis response will be better now with your SAM centre, Mark, according to the specifications. See how it sounds and if you notice a difference off-axis. Did you get some baffles to elevate your horns? I think that is a good idea, too. Well done on completing your matched LCR 👍

Best
I don’t sit off axis and both my left and right seats are only around 12 degrees so don’t expect much difference here tbh.

I think I’ve got a solution to keep the speaker centrally, likely to run the bass driver on its side with the horn vertical, both bang in the middle of my screen.

fallinlight

Distinguished Member
I don’t sit off axis and both my left and right seats are only around 12 degrees so don’t expect much difference here tbh.

I think I’ve got a solution to keep the speaker centrally, likely to run the bass driver on its side with the horn vertical, both bang in the middle of my screen.

Cool.

Why is your centre SAM not central otherwise, Mark? Can you not just simply have your centre orientated like your L and R, or like how I had mine, vertically, side by side?

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Cool.

Why is your centre SAM not central otherwise, Mark? Can you not just simply have your centre orientated like your L and R, or like how I had mine, vertically, side by side?
If I have them side by side both the horn and the bass drivers will be slightly off centre….not much, but enough for me to know 😂

mb3195

Distinguished Member
New SAM installed. Still need to finish it, will eventually rotate the Left and Right so they all match identically. This will do for now though.

Not going to run a new calibration tonight as I can’t be bothered but will run some initial testing with the same calibration file.
45326607-AF38-416C-A38A-D452F70150A8.jpeg

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Mark you still planning to go listen the Perlisten subs? :) Would be very intresting to hear them in same room with the 1S or 2S. To my understanding they are from same designer.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Mark you still planning to go listen the Perlisten subs? :) Would be very intresting to hear them in same room with the 1S or 2S. To my understanding they are from same designer.
Next Friday mate 😜

mb3195

Distinguished Member
So yeah, the new centre SAM does sound a smidge better now it’s been calibrated.

Only tested a few scenes, but hairs on the back of my neck stood up on a star is born and the greatest showman, speech intelligibility also seemed a little clearer on Tenet.

I’d doubt I can get my front soundstage sounding much better tbh.

jockychan

So yeah, the new centre SAM does sound a smidge better now it’s been calibrated.

Only tested a few scenes, but hairs on the back of my neck stood up on a star is born and the greatest showman, speech intelligibility also seemed a little clearer on Tenet.

Mark I’d doubt I can get my front soundstage sounding much better tbh.

I bet you will try 😂

corrado kid

It may well have been covered somewhere on the thread so apologies in advance but can I ask did you do this under permitted development in the end? Do you have an overall dimension diagram? I’m assuming you’ve kept it under 15m2 to bypass building regs? I’d also be very interested to understand how audible it is from the outside as I’m looking to get something very similar built. Thanks in advance.

oaklandraiders

I’ll chip in with how loud outside….with some monster bass going on inside, immediately outside it sounded like a car driving off in the distance. 10 feet away barely noticed.

barry7767

corrado kid

8abel8

Yes, if your either 1m away from any boundary or the building is “substantially non combustible”. As far as I’ve seen so far a timber frame doesn’t fall under that definition but maybe the rules are much tighter now. It appears just a fireproof cladding isn’t enough currently to fall outside building regs but will do some more digging 👍
I've just been granted planning for a outbuilding just under 30sqm within a metre from the boundry, timber framed and clad with fibre cement but like you I'm unsure on this point. The approval letter states "This Notice relates solely to a planning decision and does not purport to convey any approval or consent which may be required under the Building Regulations or any other statutory purpose".

I've emailed them to find out and I hope it's exempt but I may be wrong....

corrado kid

I've just been granted planning for a outbuilding just under 30sqm within a metre from the boundry, timber framed and clad with fibre cement but like you I'm unsure on this point. The approval letter states "This Notice relates solely to a planning decision and does not purport to convey any approval or consent which may be required under the Building Regulations or any other statutory purpose".

I've emailed them to find out and I hope it's exempt but I may be wrong....
Seems like a minefield to a layman doesn’t it! Mad that you could build something under 15m2 right next to your neighbours fence in anything you like with no problem, but make it a few inches bigger and suddenly it’s a fire risk. Out of interest why did you apply for planning? Distance to boundary I assume?

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member

i love how u said frontstage... which means ur moving onto the sides next subconsciously :D

8abel8

Seems like a minefield to a layman doesn’t it! Mad that you could build something under 15m2 right next to your neighbours fence in anything you like with no problem, but make it a few inches bigger and suddenly it’s a fire risk. Out of interest why did you apply for planning? Distance to boundary I assume?
No, wanted over 3m in height, so got approval for 3.2m height, which is great but they wanted a reduced depth to 4m, which I'm not sure I'm happy with tbh..

8abel8

I don't want to take over this thread with these discussion but for clarification and help to others I just got a email back from the council's building control department and they have confirmed the following:

"To be exempt, a small detached building with a floor area between 15m2 and 30m2 built within 1m of the boundary needs to be built substantially of non-combustible materials.

To achieve this the walls will need to be constructed of Brickwork/Blockwork or Concrete panel. The roof may be constructed using timber."

So looks like I will need to apply for building regs...

If anyone wants to continue this discussion, I already have a thread started on a similar matter here:

Sorry Mark for hijacking this thread:blush:

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom