Shed of Darkness 9.4.6

Trojan

Distinguished Member
Possible silly question but is there enough clearance at the back of the JVC as this is where it gets its air from.
If it gets hot then it automatically ramps up the cooling fans to compensate. I have an NX9 and it’s really quite on low lamp, even Gordon mentioned it when he was calibrating it.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Possible silly question but is there enough clearance at the back of the JVC as this is where it gets its air from.
If it gets hot then it automatically ramps up the cooling fans to compensate. I have an NX9 and it’s really quite on low lamp, even Gordon mentioned it when he was calibrating it.
Low lamp is very quiet. And no, possibly not, I’m restricted on throw ratio.

It’s not massively noisy though it just is compared to the Sony which is exceptionally quiet.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
If you want a sensible upgrade, I think the NZ7 could be the best bet.

Have heard it’s very quiet in medium laser. Nz7 does pop up in my mind whenever I consider nx9.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
If you want a sensible upgrade, I think the NZ7 could be the best bet.
Not for me. Wouldn’t be an upgrade on what I’ve got (it’s just a brighter n5, if the NX9 is pretty close, why would this be better?) plus it won’t fit throw wise.

fallinlight

Distinguished Member
First impression, throw ratio is tight…….TOO tight. I can’t fill my screen with 2.4:1 content, I’m left with a 2cm black bar too and bottom 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

I chose my new screen size to accommodate for upgrading to one of the JVC native 4K projectors. I was quite confident that at least a 2" smaller screen would leave me enough leeway. But I'm wondering about that now that I've read your post. I used a PJ calculator many times to take the extra depth of the new projectors into account. What is your image size and how much deeper is the NX9 and if possible, how much closer is the NX9 lens to your screen?

I had the same issue with my old x7900, I say issue, I didn’t realise until I saw the 760 how noisy the image can get, the NX9 is similar in this regard, although much better than the x7900.

Interesting, that. The only JVCs I ever found to be noisy to the point of distraction and being obvious were my old X30 and RS45 (US X30). I've never seen it on my X7900 or any others that I have owned (HD1, HD350, a few X3 and X5000).

As you suggest, and as is my experience with video games consoles and AV gear, I always find such things to be a luck of the draw and down to unit variation. So it could be that Mark's unit is simply louder than yours.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
I had @Apollo round earlier to get his eyes on the nx9 and give me an unbiased opinion between the 2.

Firstly I set up the Sony, we tested for brightness (albeit a cheap meter), on high laser it was showing 360 lux, dropping down to 330 on 80% laser. The difference in picture is slightly noticeable but I'm used to 80% as it runs much quieter.

We then tested a few demo clips, a combination of blu rays and 4k.
Hans Zimmer in Prague - Blu Ray
Super 8 - Blu Ray
Interstellar - 4k
Avengers Infinity War - 4k

Moving over to the JVC, the brightness was somewhat surprising. Baring in mind the bulb is 800 hours old, we're guessing at a light loss anywhere between 10-20%. On low lamp (still louder than the sony on 80%, similar to the sony at 100% laser), it measured around 320, kicking it into high lamp, the Lux rating shot up to 430!! It's clearly therefore ALOT brighter than the Sony.
Obviously the JVC has't been calibrated to my room, plus the lumagen HDR settings haven't been dialed in just yet, but we both agreed that high lamp with the current settings was probably too bright for my room, therefore we settled on low lamp for the testing, where again, with a new bulb and calibration would most likely still see it brighter than the Sony even on high laser. This is a bit of a game changer for me as I cant live with the high lamp noise.

We also managed to get the throw ratio to fit by utilising the full 4k panel, this isn't something i've done before and certainly isn't one for the purists, but this meant I could easily fit the screen in and also pull the projector forward from the back wall to give some breathing space. After doing this, we couldn't see any obvious side effects to the image.

In terms of the films we tested, overall it was very close on each film clip, the JVC's better blacks did stand out in Super 8 (we actually thought Super 8 was 4k the image was so good on both projectors) and Avengers infinity war, with this in particular looking fabulous, basically looking like a giant OLED. Interstellar we both felt the Sony looked slightly better on, with slightly more depth and pop to the image, but then switching the JVC into high lamp (its been calibrated for HDR in this mode) really brought the pop back to the image resulting in it being very close, strangely the space black scenes looked very similar on both projectors, proving that the Sony's ANSI contrast is actually very good.
Hans Zimmer was again very close, the JVC did produce better blacks, but image noise was also more noticeable on this (the jvc and lumagen both had various sharpening settings on such as eshift, sharpness and darbee - these are likely fighting against each other), the Sony smoothing it out slightly better. Both looked superb though.

Some further testing on the JVC on some known torture scenes for the Sony (not many of these, 3-4 i've come across in a 2 years), where the JVC handled them perfectly. This being a very slight banding and posterisation issue with the 760, no such problems with the NX9.

The zappiti menu looks much sharper through the NX9 lens, blacks also become quite addictive, flicking through some challenging scenes that can trip up auto iris', we didn't see an issue with any.

Conclusion:
Both excellent projectors, my room is the perfect environment for them to do their thing, fed with the ACE zappiti and lumagen 5348, both projectors kick out absolutely stunning images. We both agreed that if I was to swap these out part way through a film, most people wouldn't notice the difference between them.

I'm going to continue with the NX9 in place for the next few days, trying not to concentrate on the fan noise before likely purchasing a new bulb and getting @Gordon @ Convergent AV over for a proper calibration, with HDR set for low lamp. My gut feeling is by doing this, the nx9 will pull clear of the 760 overall.

After the first couple of clips, Justin did point out like I did yesterday, the image is great, but its still the audio and the quake that really sets my room apart, great pictures are now easily achieved from pretty much any OLED, but getting audio like I have is a science and alot of hard work (and money!!!)

Hope you enjoyed the mini review, completely impartial and very honest.

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Not for me. Wouldn’t be an upgrade on what I’ve got (it’s just a brighter n5, if the NX9 is pretty close, why would this be better?)
I'm not sure it is just a brighter n5. The projector shootout youthman just did was pretty interesting, with some experienced people feeling it was practically the same quality as the NZ8. Reviewers also thought it was better than the NX7, so not the same as the N5. The reason I thought it could work is because it's probably quite a bit quieter than the NX9 you tried. I imagine it also has better contrast than the Sony. But that's ok, you think it's not likely to be better than what you have, and...

plus it won’t fit throw wise.
well it won't work then :)

Apollo

I had @Apollo round earlier to get his eyes on the nx9 and give me an unbiased opinion between the 2.

Firstly I set up the Sony, we tested for brightness (albeit a cheap meter), on high laser it was showing 360 lux, dropping down to 330 on 80% laser. The difference in picture is slightly noticeable but I'm used to 80% as it runs much quieter.

We then tested a few demo clips, a combination of blu rays and 4k.
Hans Zimmer in Prague - Blu Ray
Super 8 - Blu Ray
Interstellar - 4k
Avengers Infinity War - 4k

Moving over to the JVC, the brightness was somewhat surprising. Baring in mind the bulb is 800 hours old, we're guessing at a light loss anywhere between 10-20%. On low lamp (still louder than the sony on 80%, similar to the sony at 100% laser), it measured around 320, kicking it into high lamp, the Lux rating shot up to 430!! It's clearly therefore ALOT brighter than the Sony.
Obviously the JVC has't been calibrated to my room, plus the lumagen HDR settings haven't been dialed in just yet, but we both agreed that high lamp with the current settings was probably too bright for my room, therefore we settled on low lamp for the testing, where again, with a new bulb and calibration would most likely still see it brighter than the Sony even on high laser. This is a bit of a game changer for me as I cant live with the high lamp noise.

We also managed to get the throw ratio to fit by utilising the full 4k panel, this isn't something i've done before and certainly isn't one for the purists, but this meant I could easily fit the screen in and also pull the projector forward from the back wall to give some breathing space. After doing this, we couldn't see any obvious side effects to the image.

In terms of the films we tested, overall it was very close on each film clip, the JVC's better blacks did stand out in Super 8 (we actually thought Super 8 was 4k the image was so good on both projectors) and Avengers infinity war, with this in particular looking fabulous, basically looking like a giant OLED. Interstellar we both felt the Sony looked slightly better on, with slightly more depth and pop to the image, but then switching the JVC into high lamp (its been calibrated for HDR in this mode) really brought the pop back to the image resulting in it being very close, strangely the space black scenes looked very similar on both projectors, proving that the Sony's ANSI contrast is actually very good.
Hans Zimmer was again very close, the JVC did produce better blacks, but image noise was also more noticeable on this (the jvc and lumagen both had various sharpening settings on such as eshift, sharpness and darbee - these are likely fighting against each other), the Sony smoothing it out slightly better. Both looked superb though.

Some further testing on the JVC on some known torture scenes for the Sony (not many of these, 3-4 i've come across in a 2 years), where the JVC handled them perfectly. This being a very slight banding and posterisation issue with the 760, no such problems with the NX9.

The zappiti menu looks much sharper through the NX9 lens, blacks also become quite addictive, flicking through some challenging scenes that can trip up auto iris', we didn't see an issue with any.

Conclusion:
Both excellent projectors, my room is the perfect environment for them to do their thing, fed with the ACE zappiti and lumagen 5348, both projectors kick out absolutely stunning images. We both agreed that if I was to swap these out part way through a film, most people wouldn't notice the difference between them.

I'm going to continue with the NX9 in place for the next few days, trying not to concentrate on the fan noise before likely purchasing a new bulb and getting @Gordon @ Convergent AV over for a proper calibration, with HDR set for low lamp. My gut feeling is by doing this, the nx9 will pull clear of the 760 overall.

After the first couple of clips, Justin did point out like I did yesterday, the image is great, but its still the audio and the quake that really sets my room apart, great pictures are now easily achieved from pretty much any OLED, but getting audio like I have is a science and alot of hard work (and money!!!)

Hope you enjoyed the mini review, completely impartial and very honest.
Thanks for typing all of that, saves me a lot of time. Probably wouldn’t remember all of it anyway after 4 hours of switching myriad settings!

You basically covered everything so not a great deal to add. Plenty of other glowing reviews by owners and enthusiast visitors of their new pride and joys so I‘ll skip the usual platitudes and be my usual ray of sunshine with just the nit picks which stood out to me.

Bear in mind we were a bit all over the place with settings so happy if anything mentioned can be fixed/mitigated with a button unpushed.

The good news is that the NX9 certainly doesn’t disappoint and very much lives up to its reputation. Seems to do very little wrong and puts out an exceptional image in almost all respects. Surprised at how bright it is in high lamp, felt almost too much in your pit of doom! Tweaking the DTM settings would no doubt help or closing the iris for a contrast boost it barely needs. Obviously great for anybody with a very large screen, however comes at a cost…

There are some chinks in its armour. The fan noise in high lamp really is too distracting in a low noise floor room without some way of mitigating it. Hush box or porthole projection booth owners would probably be ok with it I guess. Low lamp does sound very similar (slightly higher) than the Sony at 80 laser setting, but has a harder edged more ‘insistent’ tone which is definitely more noticeable. Not brilliant but given it more or less matches the Sony brightness at 80 laser in low lamp with a partly worn bulb I think livable with.

I felt it emphasised the grain in Super 8 in an ever so slightly unnatural way which I have seen before with JVCs. I couldn’t swear to it not being due to settings used, so will reserve judgement on it for now. Made the grain sort of shimmer and appear a bit like digital noise. Would like to take a look at some other film transfers to be sure and try other settings in the pj and Lumagen.

The blacks really do underpin the image, Avengers looked exceptional. It actually does get close to the giant OLED description, unbelievable how far we’ve come in the last few years. Not totally perfect though, I felt the Sony edged it in Interstellar for image depth. Can’t be sure why I thought that, better intrascene contrast on the Sony maybe working in Marks optimised room? That difference vanished with the NX9 in high lamp and the pop came back but it looked a bit over pushed and contrasty. I assume a possible fix with careful DTM adjustment. However as high lamp not really usable for Mark it still leaves a slight question mark for me.

I think we are pretty much in agreement that although both put out a stunning image most would be happy with, the JVC edges it basically due to the blacks. It was amazing how close they were or perhaps it shouldn’t be given the top drawer price point both occupy. Best to ignore the hyperbole about one piece of kit ‘destroying’ another and see with your eyes.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
I don't think you guys have mentioned motion. Did you get a chance to test any of the tougher scenes?
Motion looked good on both, probably need to watch some football on the nx9.

Apollo

I don't think you guys have mentioned motion. Did you get a chance to test any of the tougher scenes?
Yep sure did, not mentioned as very happy with both. No nits to pick with the content I’m interested in, 23,976/24 film.

Ran the intro slow pan through the Nostromo corridors in Alien. I feel the motion on both our Sony’s is superior and more natural feeling than the Epson TW and JVC X-series but the NX9 is an improvement on these and looks essentially the same now.

Apollo

I wish i had a dedicated room…great review.
A very rare opportunity to have two pj‘s at this price level to play with without any sales ‘pressure’. Just wish we could have been more scientific about it!

Would have loved to split screen them with 50/50 lens blanking but it is logistically pretty much impossible mainly due to space constraints in Marks room. We actually have two Lumagens between us to load individual profiles into so had that angle covered, but just nowhere to actually mount the 2nd pj and maintain throw unfortunately :(

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Well, decision made (tough one though):

Apollo

Well, decision made (tough one though):

End of an era, onwards and upwards...another one bites the dust :rotfl:

Right decision, well done mate :thumbsup:

p.s. Signature change time!

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
I dont think you've made the wrong decision, I have been experimenting with air filter foam, which is very open and not too restrictive on flow but does seem to break up the noise. bit more on my 10500 on high lamp mode. I'll let you know if its successful

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
A room with this level of treatment deserves the best black levels so it’s a good decision !

mb3195

Distinguished Member
I’ve been playing about with some picture settings both within the NX9 and lumagen and have decided that I can get a fabulous picture on low lamp mode, even with this current used bulb (new bulb ordered already anyway), but to extract the maximum performance out of this beast, I really need to be using it in high lamp.

So……next project is build a PROPER hush box.

This will be a pretty big job as it will require a modification to my existing cabinet, but the thought of running on high lamp and having no projector noise is something that I think will be well worthwhile. Stay tuned for some updates 👌🏻

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I’ve been playing about with some picture settings both within the NX9 and lumagen and have decided that I can get a fabulous picture on low lamp mode, even with this current used bulb (new bulb ordered already anyway), but to extract the maximum performance out of this beast, I really need to be using it in high lamp.

This will be a pretty big job as it will require a modification to my existing cabinet, but the thought of running on high lamp and having no projector noise is something that I think will be well worthwhile. Stay tuned for some updates 👌🏻
And then bang in a laser!

Jenz

Key thing here is to ensure the inside of the hush box v2.0 is lined with MVEL. Because you know…. improved Contrast

Apollo

adamleon

If he changed back to laser the hush box wouldn’t be needed :D
Well it might be. The NZ9 in High Laser is same as NX9 in high bulb, noise wise. Ok there is lots more lumens, so maybe you’d get away with Mid laser…but if you wanted high laser for HDR with the iris closed down then….!

Apollo

Well it might be. The NZ9 in High Laser is same as NX9 in high bulb, noise wise. Ok there is lots more lumens, so maybe you’d get away with Mid laser…but if you wanted high laser for HDR with the iris closed down then….!
More like needing high laser to offset large colour filter light loss!

adamleon

In real use I’m getting 142 hdr nits calibrated with Filter on a 123in wide screen with -2 iris on high. (1.3 gain Stewart screen)

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Movies Podcast | Maverick IMAX Review, 4K Disc News and More
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Triangle announces new wireless Borea Active bookshelf speakers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts