Shed of Infinite Darkness

nothing is as sure to spark the next upgrade as making a video in which you claim you can't imagine what the next upgrade may be and it may not be possible to improve.

i think we'd all have been bored if Mark didn't keep changing

nothing is as sure to spark the next upgrade as making a video in which you claim you can't imagine what the next upgrade may be and it may not be possible to improve.

i think we'd all have been bored if Mark didn't keep changing
I’ve genuinely been struggling over the past few months to add anything. Tempted by the new zappiti’s but holding fire until the ACE is out.

I’ve genuinely been struggling over the past few months to add anything. Tempted by the new zappiti’s but holding fire until the ACE is out.
Here is something to turbo charge your Apple TV and all streaming services. It has a big impact on both sound and picture quality. They offer a 30 day trial.

Here is something to turbo charge your Apple TV and all streaming services. It has a big impact on both sound and picture quality. They offer a 30 day trial.

Thanks mate but I genuinely don’t watch enough of any streaming service in my cinema room to warrant changing my switches. Plus I’ve already got a full ubiquiti dream machine setup through the house, so this may cause some other issues?

Picked up the NX9 earlier. It’s an absolute beast!!

First impression, throw ratio is tight…….TOO tight. I can’t fill my screen with 2.4:1 content, I’m left with a 2cm black bar too and bottom 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Lens and convergence is very good. Lens is super sharp, very obvious with graphics and subtitles.
Blacks are very good to be expected. Deals with near black incredibly well, noticeably better than the Sony does.
Overall image quality is superb, although this didn’t surprise me.

Downsides against the Sony:
It’s noisier!! Even on low lamp, it’s noisier than the Sony on 80% laser. On high lamps it’s significantly noisier!! This is a potential deal breaker for me as my noise floor is as quiet as you can realistically get.
Image noise on non perfect sources - the Sony deals with this better, I had the same issue with my old x7900, I say issue, I didn’t realise until I saw the 760 how noisy the image can get, the NX9 is similar in this regard, although much better than the x7900.
Testing Avatar, the Sony I feel looks more 3 dimensional and has a cleaner image.
Throw ratio - the Sony fits my whole screen!! It isn’t massively noticeable as it’s only 1cm top and bottom on 2.4:1 content, but it’s annoying nonetheless.

Going to watch a couple of films before making a decision which one to move on. Already got firm interest in both machines.

They’re both truly superb projectors, having the lumagen clearly benefits the Sony more than the jvc. I’d wager that if I swapped the projectors out during one of my demo days halfway through the day without anyone knowing, no one would comment other than perhaps the noise of the projector itself.

Last edited:
Picked up the NX9 earlier. It’s an absolute beast!!

First impression, throw ratio is tight…….TOO tight. I can’t fill my screen with 2.4:1 content, I’m left with a 2cm black bar too and bottom 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Lens and convergence is very good. Lens is super sharp, very obvious with graphics and subtitles.
Blacks are very good to be expected. Deals with near black incredibly well, noticeably better than the Sony does.
Overall image quality is superb, although this didn’t surprise me.

Downsides against the Sony:
It’s noisier!! Even on low lamp, it’s noisier than the Sony on 80% laser. On high lamps it’s significantly noisier!! This is a potential deal breaker for me as my noise floor is as quiet as you can realistically get.
Image noise on non perfect sources - the Sony deals with this better, I had the same issue with my old x7900, I say issue, I didn’t realise until I saw the 760 how noisy the image can get, the NX9 is similar in this regard, although much better than the x7900.
Throw ratio - the Sony fits my whole screen!! It isn’t massively noticeable as it’s only 1cm top and bottom on 2.4:1 content, but it’s annoying nonetheless.

Going to watch a couple of films before making a decision which one to move on. Already got firm interest in both machines.

They’re both truly superb projectors, having the lumagen clearly benefits the Sony more than the jvc. I’d wager that if I swapped the projectors out during one of my demo days halfway through the day without anyone knowing, no one would comment other than perhaps the noise of the projector itself.
Nice. That’s just saved me £17k (or whatever the going rate is!). Will stick with my Sony. Not being a Sony fanboy before anyone jumps in, having started with a JVC, then Sony, then Epson, then Sony (again, twice). I had the same issue with the 7900 and image noise, and this was always my concern about going back to JVC.

Means I can spend it moving to some slimmer subs and move the screen further back (after hiding 2 REL 212’s behind it over Xmas, which at 60cm wasn’t easy!), as I now can’t fill my screen either. Just one bloody problem after another with this hobby 🙄😁

Would a Panamorph lens help?

I’d wager that if I swapped the projectors out during one of my demo days halfway through the day without anyone knowing, no one would comment other than perhaps the noise of the projector itself.
@IWC Dopplel and I would know….

Because you’d be missing from cooking our Sausages for to long!

Would a Panamorph lens help?
I’ve managed to get it to virtually fit, to the point it isn’t an issue.

Ok, more testing, overall JVC picture is better, but it’s a LOT noisier.

Decisions, decisions……

Never did understand why jvc and others didn't work with the like of noctua to develop a silent cooling solution

Audio noise, rather than video I take it. So is some form of hush box out of the question?
I’ve already got as best as I can do really. But yes, audio noise.

I’ve already got as best as I can do really. But yes, audio noise.

Ah, then let me assist you:

Ok, more testing, overall JVC picture is better, but it’s a LOT noisier.

Decisions, decisions……

You have to keep the Sony.

The JVC may just beat it in picture quality, but the Sony is already great and if you can hear the JVC working away while your watching something, it's going to annoy you.

My work is done.

Mark how would you rate the brightness of the two units if you open both of their iris's up? (sorry sneaky personaly question for myself)

Mark how would you rate the brightness of the two units if you open both of their iris's up? (sorry sneaky personaly question for myself)
Sticking a light meter on it later so will give you an exact answer.

Just following on with some thoughts after watching dredd last night.

The most impressive thing wasn’t actually the projector, it’s is the sound!! The combination of JBL/arendal/quake and trinnov really is awesome!! This actually stood out more than the picture quality.

Maybe it’s because I’ve just got used to watching excellent pictures, whether it be on my projector or any of my oleds, whereas as the sound transports you into a proper cinema.

Link below is the difference noise between the two units using my phone. Taken directly next to both projectors.

wow you weren't lying when you said your sony was silent lmao

i think given u have a trinnov and such phenomenal sound, that background fan noise of the JVC is going to probably be a step too far ... can u reinforce hush box?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom