Shed Insulation

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by daftpunk1, Mar 3, 2013.

1. daftpunk1

daftpunk1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I am going to be insulating a shed within the next month. Ive planned to use foam polystyrene sheets, its called styrofoam. Im not too sure whether or not to use plywood or hardboard to panel over the poly sheets. Ive seen this oil tempered hardboard but not sure if I can get this oil hardboard, must phone my builders merchant to see,

Ive read that polystyrene can be a fire hazard for shed insulation and if Im running electric to it, it can perish the cable. What Ive not read is the logic behind it, how could this happen.

Im not actually using polystyrene, ive read that the foam polystyrene is a far better insulator and better moisture barrier so maybe these comments dont refer to the foam poly...

Also read alot of people using mineral wool but do not like this stuff...

I may consider switching to plasterboard as Im thinking I could paint this with some left over paint I have, I think plasterboard will take paint better than hardboard...

Anyone tackled something like this before...:thumbsup:

2. Wahreo

Wahreo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,506
    How about a bit of OSB?

3. paulyoung666

paulyoung666
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,841
    oiiiiii PCthug where are you :smashin:

4. danmc_82

danmc_82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    I'd be happy enough using standard polystyrene for insulation, it just means you will have to cover with fireproof board. Styrofoam IS polystyrene, just a different name.

You can get extruded polystyrene which is a better insulator, but more expensive.

If your worried about flammability then mineral wool is the way to go, plus its cheap.

You can get around the electric cable bit by using trunking and burying it into the polystyrene.

5. DOBLY

DOBLY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +657
    You can use actual, proper, real wool instead - click here

might be a bit over the top for a shed though.....

6. Thug

Thug
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,736
    Lol.

I am still insulating my shed.
    I have done the walls, floor and part of the ceiling using glass fibre loft insulation.
    This is fire proof (has to be to meet guidelines) and very cheap (especially this time of year).
    I still need to finish the roof off and was looking at polystyrene sheets but it may still be more expensive than glass fibre rolls. It will be easier and cleaner to work with.
    As I said, I have only done part of my ceiling, this was due to the small area I have done so far being difficult to do alone and I also breathed some of it in which was uncomfortable and it also made me itch like crazy.
    I have lined the inside of the shed out with plasterboard as it is very cheap (about £7 for a 8'x4' board) compared to wood. Just make sure its bone dry in there (which mine is).

7. daftpunk1

daftpunk1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I would have thought doing the ceiling would be hard using rigid material. Its the part im not looking forward to.

If we were not moving in 3 years i would skim it and paint it so it would look like a proper room but would be too much hassle when it comes to dissasembly.

Yeah im def sticking with polystyrene, might put some aluminium tape over it, will probably use 12mm ply to panel over it.

Similar approach for the floor, plastic lining, polystyrene then tongue and groove boards....

The ceiling is going to require the most thought, as i have lights to think about as im running electric out to it...

8. nacmacfeegle

nacmacfeegle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,488
    For a shed, I'd go with OSB lining, Plasterboard is fine but not as robust. I guess it all depends on your use, in my shed I'd end up bashing the snot out of plasterboard. Just the way that the kids chuck bikes, garden toys, etc in there

IIRC PCThug's shed is more of a darkroom / photo studio? So not likely to see the same level of abuse.

9. saintie1

saintie1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Do not run bare cable through the polystyrene, it will knacker the cable and increase the risk of a fire. Run the cable through conduit (it is cheap and readily available). The logic of it doesn't matter just don't do it. Conduit is cheap and should you want to run additional cable or replace it in the future, it is very easy to do.