Shed base for workshop/workbench

arachnoid

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm building a shed which will have half of the space allocated for fitness (weights, cycle, etc.).

Planning a concrete base with 2x4 timbers for the flooring with 18mm plywood or OSB over. Just wondering what to do in the corner with the 'gymnasium' in terms of strengthening the floor to withstand a heavy-ish bashing. Would doubling up on the floor joists/noggins be adequate? To damp noise I can also put a rubber mat down?

Even with a concrete base, use pressure treated timber for the joists. This will stop them rotting or getting infestations in the near future...

Unless you are weight lifting, I would not worry too much, but placing the joists closer together - and as you say, putting some rubber matting down to absorb impact should be fine.

I used tongue and groove flooring mine, not only for the look of it, but it allows for a little movement and expansion without warping or splitting.

Thanks for your reply. I will be using weights but only 20-40kg free weights. Anything heavier (in future) would probably be on a bench. Good thinking around the expansion. The old shed had T&G which did move/warp over the years, though it was only 12mm. It seems that OSB is commonly used for flooring sheds. I wonder how it weathers over the years (in terms of expansion, damp ingress, etc.).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom