Shed alarm & bike security

sergiup

Distinguished Member
Well now that the shed (strictly speaking, it's a log cabin) is kind of mostly done and I will need to move things into it, I figured I should look at the security side as well, so I'm looking into two things.

1. There are a few easy to find shed alarms around, does anyone have any experience with any of them, could anyone recommend a particular model? We don't want to tie it into the house alarm.

2. I need some sort of locking solution for at least two bicycles (unlikely to be more than four). The shed is built on top of decking so I can't bolt something into concrete, but I was considering a long steel bar running under the floor - it's just still a bit of a hassle, so I figured I'd ask if anyone has other solutions/ideas. The other option is to just get a big rack - it's unlikely that someone will wonder off with a rack and 2+ bikes attached to it...

Thank you! :)
Serg

PSM1

Distinguished Member
How far is the shed from the house? Would you actually hear an alarm going off in the shed? Why not have it linked to the house alarm?
I always wonder how useful locking a bike in a shed/garage is? My take is that most locks/chains are easily gotten through anyway (saw a utube vid with some supposedly top motor bike locks/chains being cut through quite easily/quickly). If they are breaking into somewhere then they are probably prepared to get through most of these kinds of securing systems too.

sergiup

Distinguished Member
Not far at all, less than ten metres. A lot of these shed/garage alarms seem to have remote sounders too, which would work. the reason for not linking it is actually that the house alarm isn't yet installed - so yes, it could actually still be an option to be honest.

I use Abus Granit D-locks which are quite hard to cut, however it would only be as weak as the weakest link in the "chain" in the end... so whatever I can do to discourage/prevent anyone from getting into the shed in the first place would be the preferable approach.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
I recently had a house alarm installed and the main reason for it was to alarm my garage which contains my bikes. I then have a part setting function which just alarms the garage which means I basically only have the garage alarmed during the night and in the days we are home. Works very well and I know for certain I will be alerted if someone tried to break in.

sergiup

Distinguished Member
Thanks! That might well be the way to go then, just means that installing a complete alarm system would have to come sooner rather than later.

Out of curiosity, what do you do in terms of locking the bikes down? You probably have a concrete floor and can bolt things down, but I'd still be curious. Thanks!

FZR400RRSP

Banned
I recently had a house alarm installed and the main reason for it was to alarm my garage which contains my bikes. I then have a part setting function which just alarms the garage which means I basically only have the garage alarmed during the night and in the days we are home. Works very well and I know for certain I will be alerted if someone tried to break in.

We went a wee bit further, in that the whole ground floor of the house + garage is alarmed at night.
PIR and door entry.
I must admit, I don't secure my motorbikes with anything other than the steering lock once they're in the garage.
I feel/hope the house alarm is enough.
I should maybe rethink that, but there you go.

D

Deleted member 898655

Take a look at Visonic Powermax alarms it can be ,part wired and also wireless system.

Our home is split up into an annexe and outbuildings covering around 1200 sq meters i find it superb for what we need. i can set each individual pir at different settings to chime if i need to, i just press no 8 at night and it will let me know a pir has been activated it also activates the dog as well due to the chime, i also have several non mounted pir's i can pop these into veichles that are on site if i need to, the give away signal is i walk round all the security lighting at night and if the sensors have been turned round i know i am due a visit sunday morning was the last one at 4 am.

As for price i had a local alarm firm price it up and it was over 1500 quid i purchased the same system of the bay for a little over 300, battery life is good , it will also allow you to preset phone numbers and if the alarm is activated it will phone all the numbers you have entered until it gets a reply, you can reset the system on your mobile and you can listen in on the house, you then can phone a neighbour to take a look from a distance or visit depending on there size.

Last edited by a moderator:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
I do not secure my bikes at all. Just the alarm. Main reason was what I saw on YouTube and how quick d locks etc got cut or anchor points knocked out so no real deterrent. My theory if they are prepared to break in then they are also prepared to cut through securing measures.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
I do not secure my bikes at all. Just the alarm. Main reason was what I saw on YouTube and how quick d locks etc got cut or anchor points knocked out so no real deterrent. My theory if they are prepared to break in then they are also prepared to cut through securing measures.

I suppose the counter-argument to that would be any additional security slows them down and would allow you that bit more time to select your 'weapon of choice' from the kitchen*

*of course I mean restraining them in a safe manner until the police arrive.

Last edited:

Barbs77

Distinguished Member
Take a look at Visonic Powermax alarms it can be ,part wired and also wireless system.

Our home is split up into an annexe and outbuildings covering around 1200 sq meters i find it superb for what we need. i can set each individual pir at different settings to chime if i need to, i just press no 8 at night and it will let me know a pir has been activated it also activates the dog as well due to the chime, i also have several non mounted pir's i can pop these into veichles that are on site if i need to, the give away signal is i walk round all the security lighting at night and if the sensors have been turned round i know i am due a visit sunday morning was the last one at 4 am.

As for price i had a local alarm firm price it up and it was over 1500 quid i purchased the same system of the bay for a little over 300, battery life is good , it will also allow you to preset phone numbers and if the alarm is activated it will phone all the numbers you have entered until it gets a reply, you can reset the system on your mobile and you can listen in on the house, you then can phone a neighbour to take a look from a distance or visit depending on there size.
I can vouch for this system there are lots of extras like remote access to switch things on ie lights and panic alarms. Only problem I had was 3 weeks at 3 pm on a Thursday the alarm would ring me. Phoned Bt to ask if they were doing any line tests they said no, but never got another call with the recorded message 'I am being violated' lol

John

unless someone really wants what you have, the casual scumbag will avoid something that looks well secured or alarmed for a house a few doors away, which is neither

sergiup

Distinguished Member
Thank you @Barbs77 and @has2mow, that looks promising. Have you had any issues with the system? Reading the reviews, there are a couple of complaints about it chirping when a sensor battery goes, but everything else seems fine. Although not ideal, I'd prefer to keep it wireless, so the battery replacements will have to be looked at..

Barbs77

Distinguished Member
Mine was installed in 2003 don't want to tempt fate but no issues other than the one I mentioned. We got the panic fob for MIL when she came to stay so if she ever had a problem she could just press one button rather than using phones.

D

Deleted member 898655

If you have got to the stage of chirping because a battery has failed in a sensor, then you have ignored the system telling you there is a low battery or displaying it. I keep a few spare at all times.

The other time the system will bleep at you is when there is a power cut or phone line trouble, if you press OK on the system it will tell you the fault, you can either disable the speaker by pressing no 7 or press disarm again on the keyfob this will clear it for 4 hours.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
This thread reminded me to get the alarms serviced at work.
The fact I'm getting my house alarm serviced by the same guy FOC is entirely coincidental.;)
Nice new keypad, one extra sensor and a new back-up battery agreed.

Rorifett

Distinguished Member
Service might be FOC but wait until the ransom comes through for not giving out your backdoor password lol

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom