1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shawshank Redemption Re-release

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by bowenjones, Feb 18, 2003.

1. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +434
    Here are some words from Frank Darabont about
    the probable release of a 10th anniversary edition
    of this excellent film next year....
    "My suggestion to Warners that we do a Ten Year Anniversary theatrical re-release of Shawshank Redemption has met with enthusiasm. Plans are afoot for a Jan or Feb 2004 re-release in either L.A. or N.Y (maybe both, which is what I'm hoping), followed by a roll-out in key cities nationwide if the L.A./N.Y boxoffice results indicate public interest. If not, we'd obviously fold our tents quietly after L.A./N.Y., as there's no point rolling out if people ain't showing up. Hopefully they will, though. I'm very excited about the possibility of folks getting to see this movie on the big screen as was intended (so few did), rather than the dubbed-for-language-and-chopped-up-for-commercials Turner version. Aside from making sure the negative hasn't deteriorated, we'll be doing a re-mastering of our sound to current digital standards (the film was originally mixed in Dolby A, which a tad old-fashioned even then). No, there will be no additional scenes or re-editing, since I was lucky enough to be able to release my director's cut the first time around, thanks to Castle Rock. (Besides, I've always had mixed-to-negative feelings about films being mucked around with years after the fact.) Beyond that, I'll also be doing a Ten Year Anniversary Special Edition DVD for release later in 2004 (before Christmas). The set will include some fabulous documentaries (one of which was superbly done by a company called Noblesgate for Channel 4 in England), as well as a CD of Tom Newman's score. Very exciting stuff."
    :) :) :)

2. Spazwunkle

Spazwunkle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heyhey all.

Don't know if you've read this but, it's still groovy news :)

From Frank Darabont on Aint-it-cool-news:

Some fun Shawshank news, which you're welcome to post if you'd like. My suggestion to Warners that we do a Ten Year Anniversary theatrical re-release of Shawshank Redemption has met with enthusiasm. Plans are afoot for a Jan or Feb 2004 re-release in either L.A. or N.Y (maybe both, which is what I'm hoping), followed by a roll-out in key cities nationwide if the L.A./N.Y boxoffice results indicate public interest. If not, we'd obviously fold our tents quietly after L.A./N.Y., as there's no point rolling out if people ain't showing up. Hopefully they will, though. I'm very excited about the possibility of folks getting to see this movie on the big screen as was intended (so few did), rather than the dubbed-for-language-and-chopped-up-for-commercials Turner version. Aside from making sure the negative hasn't deteriorated, we'll be doing a re-mastering of our sound to current digital standards (the film was originally mixed in Dolby A, which a tad old-fashioned even then). No, there will be no additional scenes or re-editing, since I was lucky enough to be able to release my director's cut the first time around, thanks to Castle Rock. (Besides, I've always had mixed-to-negative feelings about films being mucked around with years after the fact.)

Beyond that, I'll also be doing a Ten Year Anniversary Special Edition DVD for release later in 2004 (before Christmas). The set will include some fabulous documentaries (one of which was superbly done by a company called Noblesgate for Channel 4 in England), as well as a CD of Tom Newman's score. Very exciting stuff.

And, yes...I'm finally gonna break down and do director's commentary.

How groovy! :)

This is probably my my most wanted DVD now

3. plasmattack

plasmattack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm, is this bowenjones in disguise, trying to double the exposure of his posts? :rolleyes:

4. Spazwunkle

Spazwunkle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oops :)

So excited I never bothered to see if anyone else had posted about this.

Take the floor bowenjones, the topic is yours :)

5. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Duplicate threads merged.

6. Jonesthegas

Jonesthegas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Got to be one of my absolute favourite movies. Made the right move in getting the region1 version of the original DVD as this has DD5.1 whereas the region 2 has only dolby Surround.

Glad to see this new version is to be remastered. I will definitely be buying this one. I'll even try seeing it at the cinema if it makes it to Newcastle upon Tyne.

Martin

7. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the wife & I watched it tonight
    for the first time.

what a fantastic film , an absolute Gem
    worthy of all the recomendations ive read about it.

and i got it for £4.99 from play too.
    the cheapest dvd i own.