• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Shaved Patterns

icemanonline

Distinguished Member
This is my entry from the Olympus E-PM1 and kit lens used with 3 lights a chair some coloured pencils and a sharpener.

Took a wee while to get this shot with the little OLY............Brilliant camera. And after some moving about gingerly and holding my breath I managed to get what I hope is a good shot, I like it.

Shaved Patterns is a comp entry shot for avforums and the theme is patters and texture. by icemanonline, on Flickr

EXIF

Shaved Patterns is a comp entry shot for avforums and the theme is patters and texture. by icemanonline, on Flickr
icemanonline

Last edited:

shotokan101

Banned
Great idea there Andy and well executed :)

humanfish

I like that, could be a potential winner even this early on. Punchy colours and a nice interpretation.

icemanonline

Distinguished Member
I really like the idea here and the colours are very vibrant - but maybe too much so? It looks to me to be oof?

I don't think its to vibrant. I did say that I used 3 lights to get an even spread for the shot and the colours are what I got from the HB pencils. No saturation was adjusted. I cropped the original shot to get the pattern and that was it.

Thx for the comments

Icemanonline

Miranda

Certainly fits the theme, patters are there all right :) For me it's a bit too much though, I'm afraid. It's a bit 'in your face' with very strong light and glaring colours. It's not necessarily a fault, it's just my personal taste/opinion.
I can see where the focus is, so as such it's not out of focus. Although with all the light, a slowish shutterspeed of 1/80s, that easily makes close ups to appear a bit blurry.
But like I said, you made the effort and hit the theme right on the head, so good luck with this month! :)

Last edited:

icemanonline

Distinguished Member
Certainly fits the theme, patters are there all right :) For me it's a bit too much though, I'm afraid. It's a bit 'in your face' with very strong light and glaring colours. It's not necessarily a fault, it's just my personal taste/opinion.
I can see where the focus is, so as such it's not out of focus. Although with all the light, a slowish shutterspeed of 1/80s, that easily makes close ups to appear a bit blurry.
But like I said, you made the effort and hit the theme right on the head, so good luck with this month! :)

As always Thx for all the comments,

icemanonline

Last edited:

shotokan101

Banned
Andy - I can only presume that you're not having a very good day ;)

I think you really have to chill a bit and realise that everyone will perceive and interpret a shot differently - obviously it's fine to counter comments about sharpness etc. but to be fair if someone sees a shot as "in your face" or too bright/saturated or "processing doesn't work for me" - "composition doesn't work for me" or any of the other "non quantifiable" observations/comments then I think that you've really just got to put that down to differences of opinion and leave it at that - how well received or otherwise a shot is by other memebers or those on other forums is TBH pretty irelevant in this context I think.

I hope I'm not winding you up with this post Andy but my interpretation of your last post in response to Miranda's comments (which I actually felt were mainly positive about the shot) was that you've overreacted for some reason and taken it the wrong way.

Jim

icemanonline

Distinguished Member
Andy - I can only presume that you're not having a very good day ;)

I think you really have to chill a bit and realise that everyone will perceive and interpret a shot differently - obviously it's fine to counter comments about sharpness etc. but to be fair if someone sees a shot as "in your face" or too bright/saturated or "processing doesn't work for me" - "composition doesn't work for me" or any of the other "non quantifiable" observations/comments then I think that you've really just got to put that down to differences of opinion and leave it at that - how well received or otherwise a shot is by other memebers or those on other forums is TBH pretty irelevant in this context I think.

I hope I'm not winding you up with this post Andy but my interpretation of your last post in response to Miranda's comments (which I actually felt were mainly positive about the shot) was that you've overreacted for some reason and taken it the wrong way.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Just a bad day.......

Thx Jim

Ice

Last edited:

shotokan101

Banned
Thanks Andy - sorry to hear that your struggling at the moment- hope things pick up soon mate :)

Take care,

Jim

Miranda

Oh well.. I didn't even see the reply you made to my comment. But I stand behind what I said, and I repeat, it's my opinion, not the general one. And I thought I wrote my comment in kind manner. Obviously we have a little bit different view of that though. But such is life. And I don't think there's any obligation in this competition to love everyone's entries every single time and shower them with praise.
I hope you'll be able to read my comment again and actually see it like it was meant to. It has no hidden meanings, no evil agendas or anything else behind it. It's just a comment, not an insult.

icemanonline

Distinguished Member
Oh well.. I didn't even see the reply you made to my comment. But I stand behind what I said, and I repeat, it's my opinion, not the general one. And I thought I wrote my comment in kind manner. Obviously we have a little bit different view of that though. But such is life. And I don't think there's any obligation in this competition to love everyone's entries every single time and shower them with praise.
I hope you'll be able to read my comment again and actually see it like it was meant to. It has no hidden meanings, no evil agendas or anything else behind it. It's just a comment, not an insult.

I know.......

Its just a comment and that's fine.

icemanonline

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom