shaun ryder

seany

Ex Member
Reaction score
Did anybody watch the doc about Shaun Ryder on bbc 3 last night?

I really enjoyed it, always been a fan of Shaun’s. Was shocked when i turned up to do a move last year and it was him and his mrs in a one bed flat in Longsight. Moved them in to the house that was in the program in Glossop. bez lives next door and came out when we got there, it was surreal. A very quiet village type place, could hear an ian brown tune belting out of bez's place. I asked him was he still recording, he said he'd been in dispute for years and could not record.

Watching the program last night, and its six years now and he has to give every penny he earns over to the people he lost (well he keeps the dj money) two court cases to. He refuses to go bankrupt because he'll lose copy right. The others won’t make a deal. He looks like a broken man, he's trying to have it over turned, i hope he wins. Subjective i know, but i really think Shaun was a great song writer and what they did to the music/dance scene in this city was phenomenal

I didn't realise it was on. Is it going to be repeated do you know ?

Thanks mate - time to see if my new Sky+ toy works properly :D

Saw the documentary a couple of months ago - BBC3 must repeat it quite often ! It was very good, and took me back to the days of floppy hair, baggy jeans and great music..........
I saw the Mondays on their re-union tour a couple of years ago, and they were as entertaining as ever.
Also worth checking out is the book "Hallelujah" - co-written by Shaun Ryder and John Warburton, who worked with him on the Daily Sport. A bargain at £3 in the Music Zone sale !
I still live in hope of another Mondays re-union, and even better, a Stone Roses re-union !

Ian.

met shaun ryder in a bar about 4 or 5 years ago after the mike tyson fight in manchester.

after we bought his drinks all night we paid for his taxi home or wherever he went.

we all left a bit sad at seeing someone we all had so much pleasure listening and watching was so down in his luck.

the amount he puts up his nose is
phenomenal:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

cant remember i was not in a good state. but it had lots of leather sofa`s and leather cubes to trip over on way back from bar.

Nice end when he did the gig then got paranoid the audience was boing him (they were of course cheering)

top bloke

nah was joking because carpet fans say mooooooooo if u remember the old Tshirts. Was just making a joke "hope ur mooooing and not boooooooing.

How sad did bez look making that video:laugh:

Cheers for the heads-up for tomorrow. Look forward to this - Mr Ryder remains a greatly underrated lyricist in my opinion...

Caught the Mondays that week in !989 (Roses and Mondays on Top of the Pops, natch).

A lot of the bars are like that in town jmack, always used to be in the Dry 201 bar (factory 201) dont really see him in there now. Though you wont as he's trying to stay clean.

Dry Bar off Oldham street Sean? It's fair cool in there. Could have been Sofa though from what J Mack said, or Gaia. Plenty of leather in both of them :D

Yes mate was brought up at the top of oldham street, not far from sankeys, but closer to town. Dry is on oldham st by the way. I just live half a mile from it still. Not as good as it was though

Was the first club bar we had in MCR really gave out the plans of the bar on the first day of opening, i've always kept it. New orders and wilsons bar (not any more)- Fac 201, the hacienda was fac 51.

Stayed up to watch it. What a ****ing mess he's in. It was sad to see an Icon in that state and hooked on Renays (sp) of all things. Bez is still out there with the pixies by the look of it; I could have done with subtitles at some point. :zonked:
Is there any news on Shaun’s court battle since the program was made?

Cheers, Mylo:smoke:

The renays is just his addictive Personality, i still think he's on a script though. When i moved him a thought it was a young bernard manning he looked that bad.

I think your right Sean, at least he's picked something that shouldn't harm him, they are made of chalk aren't they? He looked about twice as big as I remember him. He was brave doing the show, I doubt he would want anyone feeling sorry for him, too proud for that. Hopefully if the suits that have done that to him might have watched and seen the result of their actions, I think they showed him who's boss, but at what cost? Let's hope he gets it sorted soon and gets back in shape.

Cheers, Mylo

I was just about to say, he looks even fatter than me :eek:
The last thing he needs is all this crap from solicitors who are probably deliberately delaying things. When he went for that last meeting with the solicitor he looked a broken man - I hope everything gets sorted otherwise he may go and do something silly.

He has ****ed about over the years, what he did to factory was taking the **** when he went on a mad one in the carribean. Helped make them bankrupt, though wilson still thinks the mans a poet

Originally posted by keanyboy
He has ****ed about over the years, what he did to factory was taking the **** when he went on a mad one in the carribean. Helped make them bankrupt

Wasn't aware of that.

Went of to barbados record the album & to get shaun away from gear, little did they know it had a major crack problem, and they hammered it. the album cost far more money then factory could afford, and because shaun was so wired the album was plain garbage, and never made any of the money back factory needed. It was just one of many mistakes factory made.

I know what he means about the heartburn though - I never got it until I reached 40 but now get through quite a lot of gaviscon ! Or at least I did up until I went on my fitness campaign which I started in January, now I hardly get it at all.

Diane gets it, she 32. has to sit up in bed which eases it. I've never had it....

...since she got heart burn:laugh:

Originally posted by keanyboy
Went of to barbados record the album & to get shaun away from gear, little did they know it had a major crack problem

Holy ****, like putting a bull in a china shop.:eek:

I rate the mans music, but I wouldn't trust him in charge of the TV remote let alone a bands future. Going slightly off topic, did Suggsy not make a hash of managing the Farm? Some bands choose the maddest managers.

Cheers, Mylo

Yeah he f***** factory records over, but so did factory themselves in a way, watch 24 Hour Party People, its a true story. But Shaun is still a genius. sad to see how down he is over the fat cats profiting from his lyrical genius and how bad his memory is due to the ecstscy, Im told there made better these days but wouldnt know, someone I know who still uses them has a very bad memory, but there dyslexic too, and some dyslexics are known to have bad short-term memories anyway, trying to stop them but ultimately there choice, prob tape the repeat Sat night/Sun morning @ 12.10 or 3.05am (Def video job, the club [Jenx, Blackpool] is open till 3am).

:smoke:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom