1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharps take on EDID data in LCD Panels

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by sin_chase, May 31, 2005.

1. sin_chase

sin_chase
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After emailing Sharp enquiring about thier max res in thier EDID being 1280x1024 when the native is 1366x768 and it cuasing problems this is the response I recieved:

Well, that doesnt really make alot of sense. Surely the technicians and devleopers know that these panels will be used in conjuction with a PC and ignoring the max native res in the EDID just because it isnt a VESA standard is, well, a load of tosh to me.

"it would seem that the video card/drivers you are using refuse to ignore the EDID data when instructed, which is not a fault of the LCD TV. "

Well, thats certainly interesting. He is saying "Its not the LCDs fault you cant use its native res because the LCD is not reporting its native res to the drivers" Oh yes, your LCD is very much at fault. Regardless of VESA standard it is NOT reporting its max (native) res correctly, or more accuratly - at all.

It seems like theres an endless passing the buck going on here, drivers wont ignore EDID data and LCD panels wont report to the drivers correctly with EDID data anyway.

The way I see it is that computing (PCs) and Television (as such) are merging pretty much into the same field. You cant say "It isnt a PC standard and as a result you shouldnt expect it to work" Why in the hell are your panels 1366x768 ANYWAY!? 720p is 720 verticle lines, not 768. 1280x720 IS a PC resolution.

I dont know, I give up on the thing. I finally got my issue resolved but it should of NEVER of been a problem in the first place.

2. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    ? did you not check for compatability before purchase?
    perhaps the problem is not with the monitor or the card but just with paring the two together.Im sure no one held a gun to your head about choosing which combination to go for.
    I think i understand the point your trying to make but surely if the equipment you bought is not compatible thats your fault, if you chose another brand that would be Sharp`s fault and also their loss :hiya:.
    What would be useful is telling us how you resolved it :lesson:

3. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    This is not limited to Sharp. All the panels that I tried prior to purchase had EDID's that did not match the true maximum resolution of the display. You have got to remember that you are buying a TV and that the displays are geared to video resolutions and timings. If you want to use it for something other than that documented in the manual, you need to try it with the equipment that you intend to use it with prior to purchase. And even if it is documented in the manual, it is always prudent to test prior to purchase incase it does not perform as you expect.

-Ian