1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharps' GA3/4 internal scaler

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by richjthorpe, Feb 1, 2005.

1. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi again,

I was wondering if anyone has done a test for the Sharps' internal scaler.

I have the dilema of buying a DVD player with upscaler through DVI or do I buy a DVD player with a good Prog Scan and leave the scaling to the TV.

Anyone tried this ? Was there a difference ?

Richie.

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    A decent external scaler, be it in a DVD player or standalone will be better than the average TV scaler. Similar reasoning to is progressive scan input better than interlaced.

I tried my Meridian DVD player with Farouja scaler into a Sharp GD1E and it was huge difference. The extra detail available was very noticable. Im not saying the Sharp was bad, just not in the same league. But then, the DVD player cost more than the display.

If you are thinking of Denon's, the 1910 has a lower spec chip than the 2910/3910. On paper it is very similar, but in real life, I don't think that it is in the same ball park. I was not that impressed with a 1910->Pio that I recently installed.

-Ian

3. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yeah, I was thinking of Denon's 1910. The 2910 is getting a little too expansive though.

Other players are the Samsungs (745 and 945) and the Panasonic S97. The 745 seems to be a cracking little unit for a little over a ton. Although it has the Zoran chips with Faroudja DCDi instead of the Faroudja chips themselves. Don't know whether there is a difference though !

In what way does the 1910's chipset differ from it's bigger brothers ? Is it the version or is it completely different ?

Richie.

4. MickyGee

MickyGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Same dilemma as Richie - Upscaling DVI/HDMI Denon 1910, Pana S97 or the Samsung HD745....or do I go for a good prog scan component player like a Pioneer 575 until HD settles down ? Anyone else tried these with a sharp GA3/4 ?

Samsung looks the best bet at the moment...................

5. mimote

mimote

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Going through same thoughts myself although am still awaiting my LC32GA4. Conclusion I am coming to is getting a low cost SDI modded DVD player and using an Iscan HD+ to do all the scaling. I will wait until I have the display but would appreciate thoughts. As I see it the advantage of the stand alone scaler is the ability to scale up / down all inputs to the resolution of the display thus bypassing the display's own scaler and wrt DVD with SDI avoiding a D/A then A/D conversion process. Am still not 100% convinced of the benefits and the problems of dealing with sync on analogue audio but am still digging.

6. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Im struggling to find the difference between the version used in the 1910 (FLI2301) and the 29/3910 (FLI2310). Other than lack of analogue output, I may have been talking complete ******. However, the review below confirms that the FLI2301 can cause macroblocking in the 1910 which is not present in the FLI2310 equipped 3910. Not sure if this is a result of the different chip or a result of a generally better player that has engineered the fault out.

http://gnss.com/products/FLI2300.phtml

Good comparative reviews here from a very reliable source:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=120