1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp Z91 v Sanyo Z2

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Canary_Jules, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +739
    Hi guys,

I have been commissioned by the builder who built the extension for my HC room to sort one out for him on a budget of around £3000. I was planning to get a Sanyo Z2 for him on the basis of all the good reports I have read on this forum. But on phoning NexNix I was advised against this. The chap I spoke to had reservations about the Z2's build quality and reliability, saying that Sanyo's return rate was border line. He said that they have already started to get returns on the Z2. They have stopped doing Sony on account of this and Panasonic wasn't much better either. Given that I wanted just to install the pj in my builder's house and walk away with no problems he suggested the Sharp Z91 instead. As far as the Z2 was concerned he said my HS10 through 1:1 mapping was a better machine - which is jolly nice to hear though this might be disputed on this forums! Feedback on the Z91 seems to be good on this forum as well. NexNix have put a package together for me which seems pretty good so I will probably go for this unless any one wants to cry HALT! What do you reckon?

Also, since neither I or my builder friend can get down to NexNix for a demo can any one confirm that under the terms of the distance selling regulations I should be able to return the Sharp within a week if I don't like it - i.e. my builder friend sees rainbows and starts chucking!

Cheers

Jules

2. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    on the Sharp Z91E.

personally, I think its a SUPERB machine and if I had the cash I would buy one to replace my panny ae300 in a flash !

Had one on loan for one week and it leaves LCD trailing, imo.

However, as its for someone else a week long demo/home trial has to be a good thing. Very few rainbows on this unit but thats a subjective thing.

Finally, note that on paper, some PJs look better but this one talks through its PQ.

Cap:)

3. krl25sc

krl25sc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've also looked into the Z91 but am waiting for (what I've been told is) its replacement, the XV-Z200, which is due out anytime now (I think it's already out in France and Germany) - so you may want to consider holding on a couple of weeks to look at the Z200 which has a DVI input and the PAL native Matterhorn chip (that's also in the Infocus 5700) and other improved specs - although the deals on the Z91 are good. There's quite a bit of info on the internet on the Z200 for example:

http://hiddenwires.co.uk/resourcesnews/news20030905-07.html

4. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +739
    Mmmm... Thanks for the feedback. That new Sharp DLP sounds really good. I guess it depends on what kind of price and when it will be out. Then it will be up to my builder friend to make his mind up. Nexnix's price on the Z91e is £1600 exc vat but it includes a free Harman Kardon DVD 30 which is something I was planning to buy anyway for my friend's set up.

Jules

5. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    similar specced Sharp 16:9 machine looming I now realise why some dealers are offering such great deals.

Still, with a free HK DVD player, it looks like a great deal. I would still buy it..I expect the new machine to be about £2.5k ish.

Cap:)