Sharp Z10000

P

paulsa

I see the new sharp Z10000 is for sale(and apparantly in stock) from pricejapan,anybody seen any spec sheets for it yet or heard any reports ?......just wondering how it will compare/differ to my 9000

thanks Julia,I see,the contrast ratio is 2500:1 well up on the 9000`s 1100:1 also it`s up to 1100 lumens too...........No No No I can`t even think about it:rolleyes:

Paul,

Did you go to the Scottish HiFi show. At that show was an HT300plus and an HT300. Many folk told me the older model looked better than the new one at the show. Why?

Contrast ratio is not the be all and end all. The 9000 is great, as you know. The HD2 chipped unit is better but not a quantum shift like those figures would make out.

For those wanting to get great contrast measurements from their units try turning contast to FULL and brightness to minimum. you'll get best contrast measurement. Now look at a DVD....doesn't look that great!

sorry for seeming a bit grumpy. If I get time I'd love to come over and look at your display now I have new analyser. Even better if I could bring scaler when they get in to country....

Cheers,

Gordon

I'm about " " that far from ordering a Z10000 from pricejapan to replace my Sony 11HT LCD. :D

There's specs on the SharpUSA site too:-
http://www.sharpusa.com/products/ModelDetailedSpecs/0,1161,1005,00.html

A couple of things are holding me back ...

1. I'll have a dedicated HT room in January, so I'm really tempted to get into CRT. Problem with this is my screen is 10ft wide, so I'd need a 9" ideally and even then I'd be at the limits. The other thing is when I said 'dedicated room' it really means a second lounge, so it's definately got the wifes input and that generally doesn't include vast boxes hung from the ceiling.

2. I know pricejapan seem to have a good reputation and dlp technology means rare dead pixel problems, however I'm still not 100% about ordering it from Japan (will save about £6K though!)

3. I have never seen a DLP in action, not even a HD1 chip. I know the models now have fast spinning colour wheels, but should I buy a DLP blind not knowing if I suffer headaches or rainbows?
Paulsa - have you ever had any problems with your Z9000? :confused:

Anyone compared a good LCD, like the 11HT, against a HD1/2 DLP?

Any general re-assurance about both DLP and pricejapan would be appreciated!

Mark.

Mark,

Honestly the sad advice is you MUST view before purchase. Unless you can fund a £3000-5000 hole in your pocket till you find a buyer.

I know which I would buy but what problems I find acceptable may not be acceptable to you.

Gordon

Mark,

I had a good experience with priceJapan (and I saw that they had a good feeback from other people as well, here and in avsforum). If you think about saving £6K I wouldn't hesitate. Saying that, the ideal thing would still be to have a local warranty for convenience...

In my opinion it's better to wait for some reviews first (to avoid any surprise like NEC10000' screen tearing for example), not to mention that the price will go down as time passes...

Julia

Mark as Gordon rightly says you really have to go and view a good selection of players before you can decide what suits your tastes best.....Gordon told me to go and do this before i bought anything( I really wanted a crt,but just don`t have the space,and my wife was rather against it too),so after many demo`s, sim 2 200 and DM.the dlp yamaha,sanyo plv30/60.etc.etc,I had set my mind on the sony 11HT,Gordon was giving me another demo of it, which i was happily enjoying,when the sharp rep brought in the 9000....just had to have it,loved the smooth cinematic picture(sorry, but for me it just blew the sony away) great contrast, better picture depth, better black level,the size was ideal but the uk price of 10k :eek: ,really felt for Gordon,he has been a great help, but i just could not justify buying from the uk, got it from japan (less than 5k)never had a problem with it ,the service was great .........and I still love it.

Gordon,No not grumpy just educated as ever :).I never knew the HI FI show was on .....until the day after it finished :( . If you ever get the time, I would love you to come over,as you know it has been my own install (1st ever so probably plenty wrong :rolleyes: ),and you know the location was far from easy/ideal,so i would love you to cast your eye over it and give me your expert opinion,and get your analyser on to it........seem to have a problem at the moment,with slight ghosting on credits etc......been told it may be the cables:( , but feel free to get in touch anytime

Thanks everyone.

Paulsa - first of all, apologies for high-jacking your post! Can you tell me more about your comparison between the z9000 and the 11HT ... (I like my 11HT, however returns for dead pixels are doing my head in!)

Julia - did you get your projector back from Kaneda? You returned it for dead pixels yeah? Any problems with customs trying to get you twice?

I think I definately need to see a good CRT set up, maybe a 1209, prior to going for a HD2 DLP. Roland? Gordon? If I did go CRT I would definately buy off one of you guys as I'd be after an install, set-up, and post-sale support!

Roland - have you got a 8" and a 9" on demo?

Hi Mark,

Thanks for asking.
My new replacement of AE300 has just arrived in London Heathrow this morning and it is in Customs delay right now.
So I expect a bit of a hassle to get it through. We'll see...

I hardly wait to see it back though...
Julia

Hi Mark,please remember,it`s only my opinion, and as Gordon said we are all different on what we can live with and what are our requirements/likes,just like a friend of mine who loves my sharp 9000 and wants to buy one......he watches mine with the `sharpness`and contrast settings at something like +28, but i watch it ( and as far as i recall Gordon was the same) with the sharpness turned down to -26 and the contrast at around -2, i like that smooth cinema look of crt ,my friend wants a high contrast, sharp edged piture which i don`t.....and that was where i felt the sharp for me, was better than the sony....more detail in dark scenes, better depth in the picture,a more movie like feel to the picture and far less `jagged` edges along things, better able to cope with fast action and pans(even though i`m now beginning to notice what i have been told is temporal dithering !! :confused:)and a far deeper black level,also the colours seemed far far better on the sharp too, especially really strong brilliant reds, which appeared washed out and orangey on the sony(eg the scene with the girl in the bright red jumper in Pleasantville,huge difference in the red)......please don`t take it that i`m `slagging off ` the sony i almost bought one it`s a damn good Pj , just that i personally preferred the above mentioned things about the sharp( for instance i know that Gordon preffers the colours on the sim2 300 to the sharps colours...but i found the sim2 `s picture to lack the `punch` of the sharps,again down to personal taste:) )If you where nearer to me you would be more than welcome to come and see mine ........sorry if i rant on a bit;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom