1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp XVC-20E - Anyone got one?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Stefan, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Stefan

Stefan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, great forum, just joined!

Has anyone got the Sharp XVC-20E or know anything about it? What do you think about it? My only source is a PC with a Radeon 9600 pro using svideo.

I'm trying to improve the picture quality. This projector only accepts svideo and composite, and so isn't meant for PC use. I generally use it at 1024x768 but I'd really like to know the resolution of it.

It's 4:3 supposedly and the single panel LCD has 576,000 dots. Any idea of the resolution it could be running at? Any tips?

Thanks in advance. :)

2. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    I think its:-
    * Sharp XV-C20E projector. 60 ANSI Lumen and 640x480 resolution

3. Stefan

Stefan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cyberheater, thanks! The lumen rating is correct, but 640 x 480 is only 307,200 dots, but the display is 576,00. Am I missing something?

The text never looks very clear you see, and everything's really bright. There's also a kind of movement to everything, like interference. I don't know what's wrong!

TIA

4. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    set your PC to 640x480 mode and see if the text looks sharp (1:1 pixel mapping!)
    If it is, stick to that for movies.

5. Stefan

Stefan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried that, it looked a little better, but definately not sharp. The review in Home Cinema Choice 1997 rated it as the best buy and said the image quality was great!

I need a resolution at about 640 x 480 but that will give 576,000 dots.

Should have got a VGA projector :mad: :rolleyes:

Cheers! :hiya:

6. pal

pal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I've just sold mine..having had good service over the last 4 years.
    In comparison with what you can buy for £600 it does not compare.
    Regards, pal

7. Delh68

Delh68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    The manual i have in front of me says the resolution is 480V * 1200H

Had mine for a no. of years, but lacks 16:9 & brightness.

Good for 4:3 tv i find

HTH
    Delh68

8. Stefan

Stefan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1200 x 480 is what I worked out from an LCD spec. sheet I found on the net. My monitor can't do that so I'll have to force powerstrip to do it.

Pal, did you think it was a good projector? Or are you saying that for £600 you could get something much better? I paid £450 for mine a few months ago.

9. Delh68

Delh68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Stefan, don't suppose u know how to access its Service Menu, i'd love to know how many hrs i have actually used it for ??

Delh

10. Stefan

Stefan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn´t know there was one, if there is one!

11. pal

pal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Sorry, I've not been online for a couple of days.

On the basis you can get a discontinued Panasonic AE100 for £600 it really is not worth the comparison. But it seems you already have one.
    In 1997 when it first appeared it was worth the Best Buy award.
    In dark scenes the picture is too murky, the noise from the fan is
    too excessive.
    If you go out and have a demo of any Projector released in the last two years....you'll find that the XVC-20e is virtually unwatchable.

Mind you...I've been without a projector for nearly six weeks and I'm tearing my hair out.
    I want to get a Panasonic Ae300 but its taking time to build up the funds.

Enjoy the XVC 20e...but dont take a demo of anything of anything
    current.

regards
    pal

12. Stefan

Stefan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I'm desperate to upgrade to a £600 projector, how much could I get for a XVC-20E with a pretty much brand new bulb? (on eBay)

13. pal

pal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I sold mine through the local paper. There was a fair degree of interest. A lot of people were clued up on the expense of Bulbs and were put off that the projector does not have a lamp meter and there was no guarantee of how long the bulb would last.

In the end I sold mine for £325. However if you advertise with the fact that yours has a new bulb,you may get back your £425.
    Regards,
    pal.

14. nickane

nickane
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have one like this, a model down I believe, the C1. I got it in singapore so its called a XV-340p or something I think. I've been meaning to upgrade for over 2 years now, but unbelievably, despite around 10 000 hours of use over 4 years, the bulb has yet to go (replacements are more expensive than I paid for it in the first place - around £500).

These specs are right. The reason why powerstrip doesn't do that spec is cos computers arrange pixels in a grid, whereas this pj uses a honeycomb structure. The pixels are far longer than they are wide, so you can have a 1200 * 480 image that is actually 4:3. If u use 640*480 however, the pj does not have to scale the image, as scaling is 2-dimensional, and so only the horizontal plane must be interpolated (just like with anamorphic dvds, encoded in 4:3 but squished so as everyone looks tall&skinny, and having to be unsquished by your tv/pj). This will make for the best poss image. Reason why the image is poor is indeed because pj itself is fundamentally crap. It only got best buy cos it offered such great value back in '97 where a pj costing less than a grand was unheard of.

This is why I plan to upgrade to an ae300 or piano (i don't care what ppl say, 450 ansi is a lot better than the 60 I have now).