1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp XV-ZW60E bulb replacement

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Phil_Yeoman, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Phil_Yeoman

Phil_Yeoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Does anyone have any experience of replacing the bulb in a Sharp XV-ZW60E projector. My dad has been quoted over six hundred quid to have this done by sharp. :zonked:

I can get the bulb from the states for £250. The question is does the lamp timer reset when you install a new bulb or do you have to enter some hiden menu?

Phil

2. kballs

kballs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nobody every answered this thread, how to reset the lamp timer or get into the service menu on Sharp/Sharpvision projectors...

I have a Sharpvision XV-ZW99U and I just replaced the lamp... lamp timer is still at 1415 hours and I have no idea how to reset it.

This projector will power off and stay off at when the lamp timer hits 1500 hours, with no way to turn it back on (or get into any service menu).

I tried to get into the service menu from instructions found in another thread:
    Press ... input, up arrow, dwn arrow, enter, enter, menu ... to enter service mode.
    But this does not work for the ZW99.

Help! :confused:

3. kballs

kballs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found another possible way to do this:

Plug in the projector
    Hold down menu, enter, and down arrow and hit the power/standby button
    Projector timer will show reset on screen to 0000H

I haven't been able to verify this though... it seems my projector hit the problem common to this model, the ballast circuit blew shortly after lamp replacement. This means that it will not power the lamp even if it's in good condition. This is an $800-1000 fix (the projector was probably already worth less than the lamp), no thanks, I think I'd rather put the money toward a new projector... I'm hoping I can get my money back for the new lamp but I'm not holding my breath. :rolleyes:

Thanks Sharp, I'll never buy one of your horrible overpriced projectors again considering the REAL cost of a lamp replacement is in the $1200 range. :thumbsdow :mad:

4. kballs

kballs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess it wasn't a horrible time to upgrade, I just ordered a Panasonic AE700 from a nearby dealer. :D

I was leaning slightly toward the Sanyo Z3 but its limited zoom range was not flexible enough for my room (15ft throw distance means the smallest display size possible was like 115", which is bad because the brightness/contrast would start to suffer at that size, and it is not a common size for projection screens - I'm thinking about getting one of the Sony black screens when they come out around next summer since my room often has lots of ambient light - these are rumored to come in 80"-100" sizes). The Panasonic's flaw is the slight vertical banding that may show itself, but I'd rather live with that than the above problems (besides that most LCD projectors I have seen show a little bit of VB, including my Sharpvision).

Hopefully the info I pasted in this thread might help somebody reset their lamp timer... if they don't blow their ballast circuit. :rolleyes:

5. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    AFAIK kballs, Sharp don't repair projectors.
    I ordered my lamp from justlamps and they are much cheaper than you quoted.
    You probably never got a response on th Z99U as it's not a UK model so nobody here knows anything about it.

Suggest you check your facts first.

6. kballs

kballs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are probably right, not as many members on here from US market...

The cost of a lamp is $350-400, but after repairing the ballast circuit ($800+ quoted from authorized service center) that's how I came up with the REAL cost since it appears that the ballast circuit blows at bulb replacement time in many cases (it did it to me and this was the first lamp replacement).

See some user comments here:
    http://www.projectorcentral.com/SharpVision-XV-ZW99U-user-reviews.htm

Here are more facts: the projector is dead (under normal use and normal lamp replacement) and it will cost more to repair than the projector is worth (a financial hole in the ground). Time to upgrade. :)

7. lorent46

lorent46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello from Paris !

I read your messages about changing the bulb from this projector....
    Actually I received my lamp with NO manual about resetting the timer....
    Did you find a solution?
    when I plug and switch the red button on, the power button is red and I cannot do anything else....

I just have one request... HEEEEELLLP ! :)

thanks a lot !

Best regards,

Laurent. (lorent46@hotmail.com) :rtfm: ... ut its missing....

8. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12